Hairdresser visa help please

minijax172

Hi guys,

Does anyone know if you have to be employed in your skilled occupation at the time of applying for your visa? I keep finding all sorts of different information online and its getting confusing. I haven't worked full time in a salon since 2011 (except for a month or so when I was in Australia last year on a WHV). Since July 2011, I have only worked part time self employed in a salon for 8 months and I had my own home hairdressing business for about a year and a half which doesn't add up to enough hours to count.

For skills assessment, I THINK you have to have worked for at least a year full time in your occupation in the last 3 years. But I read elsewhere that it doesn't matter as long as you have over 3 years work experience in the past 10 years.

I am hoping to get back into a salon over here ASAP.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Thank you

Sarah

Skills assessment requirements vary by occupation, you would have to read up on what is required for your particular occupation. There is no visa rule that says you need to be in the occupation at the time of application.

Hi Sarah,

My wife is in the same boat. She is a Level 5 hairdresser , but hasn't worked for the last 4 years due to our young children. (worked for 15 years before our children)

One migration place said its not a problem, another one said she needs to work for at least 12 months, minimum 20 hours per week.

Skills assessment requirements vary by occupation, you would have to read up on what is required for your particular occupation. There is no visa rule that says you need to be in the occupation at the time of application.

Thank you for your reply Rupert, I have just found this on the TRA website so I think this is the best guide to go from as they will be the ones assessing my skills.

To be eligible for a successful TRA Migration Skills Assessment outcome you must provide evidence of:

• a qualification comparable to the relevant Australian qualification for the nominated occupation, and

• three years of full-time paid employment in the nominated occupation at the required skill level, and

• at least 12 months of paid employment in the nominated occupation in the three years immediately before applying.

Thanks again, Sarah

Hi Sarah,

My wife is in the same boat. She is a Level 5 hairdresser , but hasn't worked for the last 4 years due to our young children. (worked for 15 years before our children)

One migration place said its not a problem, another one said she needs to work for at least 12 months, minimum 20 hours per week.

Hi Rink,

Thank you for your reply, it is really hard isn't it.

I have just posted above what the TRA website says and I think that is probably the best guide to go by as they will be the ones assessing our hairdressing skills.

Thanks for your advice too though :smile:

Sarah

Archived