First post

craig84

Hello everyone my names Craig. i have a wife and 3 kids under 4, i have a couple of questions for people that have up and left the uk.

im a fully qualified joiner with 11 years experience, i have all my cards cscs, ecitb, IOSH would just like to know if theres much work out in Australia for joiners i have done all aspects of joinery from shuttering formwork to new build houses.

how much would you say i need to have to take myself and family over.

my wife looks after the kids but use to be an accounts assistant.

where do i start with visa application.

anyone know what rates joiners get paid.

best place to find jobs with a sponser.

im looking at the Perth area as i have friends out there.

i did get a job offer with a sponser 3 years ago but due to my wife falling pregenant with twins i had to say no but now there turning 2 i think its about time i started thinking about doing it all again. I want my kids to live the dream i have always wanted to do since i was 10 years old. there is nothing keeping me in the UK.

sorry for blabbing and thanks in advance.

You did well to get a sponsor before, very unusual for trades. It also isn't usually the best way for a family to make the move, I would recommend forget about job sponsors and focus on skilled migration.

Guest Bora

aig84;1936513252]Hello everyone my names Craig. i have a wife and 3 kids under 4, i have a couple of questions for people that have up and left the uk.

im a fully qualified joiner with 11 years experience, i have all my cards cscs, ecitb, IOSH would just like to know if theres much work out in Australia for joiners i have done all aspects of joinery from shuttering formwork to new build houses.

how much would you say i need to have to take myself and family over.

my wife looks after the kids but use to be an accounts assistant.

where do i start with visa application.

anyone know what rates joiners get paid.

best place to find jobs with a sponser.

im looking at the Perth area as i have friends out there.

i did get a job offer with a sponser 3 years ago but due to my wife falling pregenant with twins i had to say no but now there turning 2 i think its about time i started thinking about doing it all again. I want my kids to live the dream i have always wanted to do since i was 10 years old. there is nothing keeping me in the UK.

sorry for blabbing and thanks in advance.

Hi Craig, I admire your skill set and desire to get to AU, however two things strike me very sharply.

1. live the dream....

2. Nothing to keep you in the UK....

I don't want to dampen your fire as you will do what you want to do, but think deeply about these 2 Comments, and I mean really consider the enormity of the effects of a move half way around the world.

I'm only saying this as my mindset mirrored yours,,and I was back home in 9 months. It was not a dream and everything I want and need is back in my yard. I was so blind sighted by the excitement I failed to consider what I was giving up. Having said that in hindsight it tookngoing to OZ to realise nothing substitutes what you didn't realise you had before you went.

Don't want to be negative, but having the right mindset is absolutely critical to the success of it all. Think about those comments, fully is my advice.

With that many children getting a PR visa and not going down the sponsored route is a better option for you... on a 457 you will get next to no help financially, and this always hits those with children the hardest. Also, in Perth on a 457 you will have to pay school fees for each child. At present I understand this to be $4000 per child.

so just got off the phone i can get a 190 visa for me and full residential visa for my wofe and kids.

£11000 for all visa's my trade qualification. they will sort eberything find me a job and a home where i will be working.

what do you guys think.

so just got off the phone i can get a 190 visa for me and full residential visa for my wofe and kids.

£11000 for all visa's my trade qualification. they will sort eberything find me a job and a home where i will be working.

what do you guys think.

Yes you should look into the 189 or 190 visa.

As to the rest, turn around and walk away very quickly. Anyone that promises to find you a job for a fee should be avoided at all costs. Sounds like you rang one of those companies selling dreams as I call it.

If you want to use an agent, find one that will help you get a visa. Nothing else.

what do you guys think.

That seems a lot, for 190 visa and skills test etc we paid around £2500 fees then around £3600 for visa fee with go Matilda, we only have 1 child but from memory children that age are around $800 to add on.

Would definitely recommend them both on service and price.

Sorry i was typing from my phone earlier.

i got told i would be accepted cause i am way above on the points with my trades and qualifications, for a 190 visa for me visa's for the wife and 3 children would be around £11000 not a definate number but thats not just for the visa's its for getting my children into schools them helping me find a job and house when im there, for taking my joinery test help setting up bank everything.

i know moobobs said its cheaper but can anyone else recommend companies the one that phoned me was ipvisas.

Guest guest30085
Sorry i was typing from my phone earlier.

i got told i would be accepted cause i am way above on the points with my trades and qualifications, for a 190 visa for me visa's for the wife and 3 children would be around £11000 not a definate number but thats not just for the visa's its for getting my children into schools them helping me find a job and house when im there, for taking my joinery test help setting up bank everything.

i know moobobs said its cheaper but can anyone else recommend companies the one that phoned me was ipvisas.

Please don't use a company that charge you for help for things like getting your children into a school, run for the hills! I'm sure you and your wife can sort out your own children's schooling.

For a start, try reading up on the immigration skill select website. You would need a skills assessment first (not sure who assesses joiners - maybe TRA or Vetassess) also if you need extra points you will can take the IELTS English test. Concentrate on getting your visa first, the rest will come later. If you are really unsure on how to tackle the visa process, then I would approach a few MARA registered agents who will do an initial assessment on your qualifications and work experience (some won't charge for this initial assessment) but it will give you some idea of what to expect. Any of the MARA agents who post on PIO are highly recommended.

Aim for Permanent residency if you can, 189 or 190 visa.

But please whatever you do, do not hand over £11000 when no agent or individual can guarantee you a job (unless they are sponsoring you and it doesn't sound like they are) you can find your own house and your own schools and open your own bank accounts when you get your visa.

Guest guest30085

Ok for the 189 permanent residency independent visa your occupation has to be on the SOL list which it is

http://www.immi.gov.au/Work/Pages/skilled-occupations-lists/sol.aspx

If you can meet the points test then you do not need employer or state sponsorship for this visa.

If you need extra points then you could apply for the 190 state sponsored permanent residency visa if any of the states are currently sponsoring (you will need to check each states occupation list)

Alternatively if you need extra points you can sit the IELTS test

http://www.ielts.org

But your first obstacle is the skills assessment, which the SOL is stating is through TRA

http://www.tradesrecognitionaustralia.gov.au/Pages/default.aspx

You will need a positive skills assessment (and IELTS passed if required- although you may not need to sit it if you have enough points without it) before you put in an expression of interest, which is the step before the actual visa application. If state sponsorship is required then some states may require you to apply for that prior to EOI also.

Adonna has given you some sound advice and done some of the leg work for you too. Schools and housing you can find yourself nearer the time. NAB are great in terms of helping you open an account and have a section on this site. Rebecca is very approachable and Peter is fantastic too. In terms of money transfer, John from Moneycorp is very helpful. If you have friends in Perth then they can help in terms of giving you advice about schools or alternatively, there is a Perth Poms website that you can join. Housing is something that can be sorted out, short term rental for when you arrive then looking for something longer term when you get there. Jobs you can find yourself, either by networking via LinkedIn etc., or word of mouth if you have friends or even advertising yourself once you get there.

£11000 is too much money IMO to part with. I have to agree with others; use a migration agent such as Go Matilda for the visa and save the rest of your money as I don't see how this company can help you get a job, you could end up living in a dodgy part of town and your children could end up in a sinking school!!

Archived