Cairns/Port Douglas/Daintree in September/October?

LKC

OH and I have decided that we would like to go on holiday during/slightly to one side of the September/October school holidays. We have been trying to decide where to go, we know that we want to fly somewhere further afield (we haven't been outside NSW in the five years that we have been here), and were wondering about maybe Cairns/Port Douglas/Daintree area. Can anyone help with regards to what the weather is likely to be like at that time of year? Is it a good time of year to visit? Can you swim/snorkel in the sea at that time of year? Aside from the attractions that I have been able to find out about for myself, are there any more off the beaten track areas that are worth a visit? We tend to like to stay away from major tourist things/hotels etc and prefer peace and quiet, so don't mind going out of our way a bit.

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

we went that way last year while visiting Australia for a vacation. We went for a reef trip and it was perfectly fine to swim and snorkel/dive - at the end of July so mid- winter. We took a dip as well at the Esplanade in the lagoon - weather was nice and warm but the water was quite cold for me ( but I don´t tolerate cold really well, husband and kids were fine). We loved the Daintree NP and Cape Tribulation, such a beautiful place! I can recommend a place to stay if you don´t mind roughing it a bit :

http://www.daintreecrocodylus.com.au/crocodylusvillage/Home.html

the owners are very nice, they can arrange tours as well if you are interested . Very child- friendly place, your room is basically a tent on a platform ( with beds and a bathroom ) with excellent raiforest view and wildlife all around you.

We were recommended a boat tour of Cooper Creek which is smaller than the Daintree river and there is just one boat company that is based there, we were glad we did. No signs of civilization up there.

• 1 month later...

Hi, we're looking at doing exactly the same trip! Sept/Oct is a great time of year to visit as not too hot. Lots to do for families on holiday although Port Douglas is quieter than Cairns which may suit you better.

I last visited Cairns in 2001 so probably a bit different. They didn't have the waterfront lagoon then and I didn't have 3 little girls either!!

I'm sure you'll have a great holiday there

• 2 weeks later...

The weather is great at that time of year and the water is definitely warm enough. The last time we went was in September and were heading back there at the end of October. Spending a few nights in Cairns before heading up to Port Douglas. The flights and accommodation that we booked are very reasonably priced. Very nice area and cant wait to head back. Theres plenty to do in all areas, but we start off in Cairns and do the Great Barrier Reef trips and a few other touristy things. A trip to Kurunda is well worth it, you can take either the scenic railway or the Skyrail (cable car) up to Kurunda. Port Douglas is a nice resort area, and that the relaxing part of the holiday for us. Have a look at Palm Cove aswell, just north of Cairns.

Archived