Sat IELTS General today

srh82

Hi All,

I have just come back from my first (and hopefully only) attempt at the General IELTS exam. I thought I would share my experiences and also thank those who have posted on this forum in the past for their useful advice.

My background: English is my mother-tongue and I am an engineer, educated to masters level.

Even though my first language is English, I did prepare by familiarising myself with the test format and some model answers for the writing and speaking elements. I was most concerned about the writing element as I'm a scientist (English at school was most definitely not my strong point! :arghh:).

I found the reading and the listening relatively straightforward but with the listening (and others have said similar), you have to be on your guard until the very end: concentration is the biggest challenge! It starts off extremely straightforward and there are elements which are more tricky, even if your first language is English! I found the reading OK, and the writing was actually OK as long as I don't get penalised for too much scoring out. :-( I think the prose, vocabulary and structure were OK - hopefully that will be enough. I found the speaking to be fine and I took the attitude that even though it was mostly very scripted, I should be professional about it and try to express myself where I could. I was pleased to get the thumbs up from a very friendly Examiner at the end! :-) :biggrin:

So I require 8s for the 189 visa.....fingers crossed!

S

Archived