Temporary accomodation when first arrive

jomark2oz

Hi hope someone can help.

My other half has secured a job in melbourne starting early september. He'll be working in Glen Waverley and we like the look of cranbourne east to live (anyone think this is a doable drive each day for him?).

We're a family with 3 children aged 7, 3 and 1. From internet searching I'm finding it hard to find temporary accomodation anywhere near that area, infact seem to to be finding it hard to find anything outside of the city. Also don't want to spend a fortune as its just as we find our feet and I'm hoping we'll be able to secure a rental within a month.

Any advice welcome!

The Hunt Club in Cranbourne seems to be a place Poms gravitate to. It's about 30 mins drive to Glen Waverly. Rentals will be cheaper in Cranbourne than close to Glen Waverly. Cranbourne is getting huge with new houses going up everywhere - so accommodation should be easy to find. Closest beach is about 25 mins away in Seaford. Cranbourne has a lot going for it - its got a racecourse, aquatic centre, botanic gardens and good shops, pubs and clubs. Good luck.

Hi Jomark2oz,

We live in Clyde North and my husband works in Mount Waverley. So similar distances to where you are thinking of living and working. The distance to and from work isn't too bad but the traffic is the problem. Depending on weather, accidents and other circumstances the journey can vary. He manages though and loves the area we are in so it's worth it too him.

Jordanl

The commute from Cranbourne to Glen Waverly is probably about 45minutes. Personally I think there are nicer areas than Cranbourne, but its all the new housing estates that put me off the area. I feel its a bit soulless. When you have arrived, I would suggest hubby does the drive one morning in the rush hour to give him an idea of what to expect.

www.stayz.com.au has a very big selection of furnished lets, but because it is more orientated for holiday rentals, prices can be quite high, although September is not a peak period, you could try to negotiate a better rate if you are looking to book for 4 weeks.

4 weeks is a good window to arrive, settle, get everything organized and find a long term rental without having to rush things too much.

www.airbnb.com seems to be getting quite popular with new arrivals, but not sure how they are priced.

Paul

Archived