189 vs 190 visa in my situation

I'm in kind of a difficult situation and hope you can help me out.

I would love to migrate to Australia under a 189 visa, so that I can become a permanent resident and build up a life in Australia.

I did the IELTS test and scored 7 or higher on all parts.

ACS assessed my skills and concluded that I am a Systems Analyst.

I already did my health checks.

So far so good. My current situation:

• Age 30 = 30 points
  • IELTS score 7 = 10 points
  • Bachelor Degree qualification = 15 points
  • 3 To 5 years work experience = 5 points

Total 60 points.

However, as you can see on the following page under the Report tab and then Round Results, since August 2013 you need 65 or 70 points to get an invitation for Systems Analyst, cause of high interest.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/#tab-4

Now I have the following options:

• Keep trying on a 189 visa, with the hope that the 1st of July Systems Analyst is still on the SOL and they the reset all limitations and I do get invited with 60 points
  • Go for a State Sponsored 190 visa

Now, there are 2 states that are still willing to sponsor a Systems Analyst; Victoria and South Australia.

I would prefer Victoria, but their processing time is 12/13 weeks.

South Australia only has 3 weeks processing time.

With a 190 visa I would get 65 points (are points relevant with a 190 visa?) and the ceiling for Systems Analysts won't count.

Now, do you have any advice on what to do?

• Would you just go for South Australia, so that there still is a chance I get my invitation before the 1st of July?
  • Or would you hope Systems Analyst stay on the SOL and go for the extra 5 points, but via Victoria?
  • Or would you hope that as of 1 July the reset limitations and try to get an invitation with 60 points?

And does it matter if I score 60 or 65 points with a 190 visa? There are SkillSelect reports for 189 and 489 visa, but I can't find them for the 190 visas.

One last important question. When filling in my Expression of Interest, I can also check both the 189 and 190 visa.

How will this effect my State Sponsorship? I can imagine that the state will reject my application if they see I lodged for 2 visas. What do you think?

I would go for the 190 with SA personally as that sounds like the most secure and simple option .... Victoria seems like they can be fussy and the 189 seems like a bit of a gamble !!! I'd play it safe and get the PR visa the easiest way !!!

I'm in kind of a difficult situation and hope you can help me out.

I would love to migrate to Australia under a 189 visa, so that I can become a permanent resident and build up a life in Australia.

I did the IELTS test and scored 7 or higher on all parts.

ACS assessed my skills and concluded that I am a Systems Analyst.

I already did my health checks.

So far so good. My current situation:

• Age 30 = 30 points

• IELTS score 7 = 10 points

• Bachelor Degree qualification = 15 points

• 3 To 5 years work experience = 5 points

Total 60 points.

However, as you can see on the following page under the Report tab and then Round Results, since August 2013 you need 65 or 70 points to get an invitation for Systems Analyst, cause of high interest.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/#tab-4

Now I have the following options:

• Keep trying on a 189 visa, with the hope that the 1st of July Systems Analyst is still on the SOL and they the reset all limitations and I do get invited with 60 points

• Go for a State Sponsored 190 visa

Now, there are 2 states that are still willing to sponsor a Systems Analyst; Victoria and South Australia.

I would prefer Victoria, but their processing time is 12/13 weeks.

South Australia only has 3 weeks processing time.

With a 190 visa I would get 65 points (are points relevant with a 190 visa?) and the ceiling for Systems Analysts won't count.

Now, do you have any advice on what to do?

• Would you just go for South Australia, so that there still is a chance I get my invitation before the 1st of July?

• Or would you hope Systems Analyst stay on the SOL and go for the extra 5 points, but via Victoria?

• Or would you hope that as of 1 July the reset limitations and try to get an invitation with 60 points?

And does it matter if I score 60 or 65 points with a 190 visa? There are SkillSelect reports for 189 and 489 visa, but I can't find them for the 190 visas.

One last important question. When filling in my Expression of Interest, I can also check both the 189 and 190 visa.

How will this effect my State Sponsorship? I can imagine that the state will reject my application if they see I lodged for 2 visas. What do you think?

If I was in your position I would go for the 190 with SA seeing it appears to be the quickest and safest option. Vic state seem to be really selective on who they sponsor probably down to the high volume of sponsorship requests.

If you are eligible at the minute then go with it, as there is no guarantee come the 1st July that your occupation will still be on the sol or csol particularly because it is a flagged occupation. Furthermore, you run the risk of your occupation being removed of the states sponsored list.

The only real option currently for you if you wanted to go for the 189 would be to resit the IELTS and score 8 in each band giving you 70 points. But if time is not on your side then I wouldn't hold back on applying for the 190 SA.

Thanks so much for your replies.

After a lot of thinking and researching on the internet I did however decided to go for the option of State Sponsorship by Victoria.

Reasons are:

- I've never been to South Australia, so it would be very hard to convince the state that South Australia is the state I want to live in

- I don't really see myself living in Adelaide if I talk to friends who have been there. Besides, it seems it's a lot harder to get a job

- Business Analysts and Systems Analyst demand is expected to grow 12% in the next year. So I really hope that leads the job staying on the SOL

Perhaps I might give the 189 visa a try on the 1st of July. Perhaps I don't need 65+ the first time the new SOL is active.

Thanks again...hope to see you in Aussie!

Could you not resit the IELTS till you got a level 8? Get 20 points? I hear it gets easier once your retake it as you get used to the format and relax. Also make sure for the points you take just a general test. For my nursing I need to take academic for my skills assessment but if I don't get an 8 I will resit the general to try getting a level 8.

Thanks so much for your .After a lot of thinking and researching on the internet I did however decided to go for the option of State Sponsorship by Victoria.

Reasons are:

- I've never been to South Australia, so it would be very hard to convince the state that South Australia is the state I want to live in

- I don't really see myself living in Adelaide if I talk to friends who have been there. Besides, it seems it's a lot harder to get a job

- Business Analysts and Systems Analyst demand is expected to grow 12% in the next year. So I really hope that leads the job staying on the SOL

Perhaps I might give the 189 visa a try on the 1st of July. Perhaps I don't need 65+ the first time the new SOL is active.

If you are thinking about going down the 189 route why don't you just resit your IELTS to try and get 8? You said you already achieved a 7 or higher on your last one. So it's very possible to achieve 8 in each section, particularly if English is your native language which I'm assuming it is. Then you wouldn't have to go through the hassle of having to find a state to sponsor you. There is no reason to wait until the 1st July for this option as it's unlikely that the points will be reduced seeing this occupation has a high volume of potentials applicants. If anything the points could increase...

If you do go for the 190 Vic just remember the potential risks- difficult to obtain Vic sponsorship, the time it takes to process sponsorship application12-13 weeks. anything could happen in that time- states could remove it from their list, or updating there requirements making it difficult or even impossible for you to obtain sponsorship.

Thanks so much for your replies.

After a lot of thinking and researching on the internet I did however decided to go for the option of State Sponsorship by Victoria.

Reasons are:

Good on you for being honest. But whilst you await the state sponsorship, lodge the 189 EOI with 60 points nd see what happens, do that now if you have everything you need to go. And retake IELTS to try to get 20 points, then update your EoI if you do.

Thanks for your responses. However, taking the IELTS test again isn't worth it.

It's expensive, far from my home so I should get a hotel and everything and the center I went to last time was very unfriendly.

I got a 6.5 for my writing and did a remark at the Cambridge University. Then I got a 7.5...so I don't really trust them anymore.

My question still remains, can I lodge both the 189 and 190 EoI? On Skillselect this is possible, but will it really work?

And if Victory sees that I'm applying for both visas, isn't there a chance they will turn me down because of that?

I couldn't find anyone applying for both the 189 and 190 at the same time. But it does let you check both check mark boxes and will result in the 189 EoI for 60 points and the 190 for 65 points.

What do you think?

Thanks for your responses. However, taking the IELTS test again isn't worth it.

It's expensive, far from my home so I should get a hotel and everything and the center I went to last time was very unfriendly.

I got a 6.5 for my writing and did a remark at the Cambridge University. Then I got a 7.5...so I don't really trust them anymore.

My question still remains, can I lodge both the 189 and 190 EoI? On Skillselect this is possible, but will it really work?

And if Victory sees that I'm applying for both visas, isn't there a chance they will turn me down because of that?

I couldn't find anyone applying for both the 189 and 190 at the same time. But it does let you check both check mark boxes and will result in the 189 EoI for 60 points and the 190 for 65 points.

What do you think?

Well in my opinion if skill select allows you to check both boxes then there is a reason why it allows this. Even if Vic saw that you selected the 189 I can't see how this could be detrimental to the 190 state sponsorship. If anything they would prob assume the 189 is your back up plan in case you don't receive sponsorship from the state. I have heard of other people selecting more than one visa option in their EOI. Really can't see there being any problem.

Regarding the IELTS yes it is expensive but it may still be required if you don't receive sponsorship. Each test centre varies, mine was very professional. Are there no other test centres near you?

Ok, just selected both visa. Now let's hope one of them will succeed.

Unfortunately there is only 1 other test center, but it's even further away. Besides I don't really believe in getting an 8 on all parts of the test.

So it's either the 189 with 60 points or the Victoria sponsorship. And I keep my hopes up that demand for Systems Analysts is getting higher, so they might even higher the cap for 2014/2015.

Archived