Change in occupation...will it affect our migration?

Canuck

Hello,

My husband is currently waiting for his Skills Assessment to come back. We are hoping to migrate on a 190 Visa. He currently works in the banking/management industry (for 15 years). Anyways, he may have an opportunity to do a labor-type job (that would pay alot of money, thus helping us save for our move). Would him switching to this job for say a year or whatever it takes to get our visa affect his actual ability to get the visa since he would no longer be working in the field that he has had his skills assessed for??

Thanks in advance!

Hello,

My husband is currently waiting for his Skills Assessment to come back. We are hoping to migrate on a 190 Visa. He currently works in the banking/management industry (for 15 years). Anyways, he may have an opportunity to do a labor-type job (that would pay alot of money, thus helping us save for our move). Would him switching to this job for say a year or whatever it takes to get our visa affect his actual ability to get the visa since he would no longer be working in the field that he has had his skills assessed for??

Thanks in advance!

How far down the track are you? Have you actually got the state sponsorship lined up yet? If you have, then I would be very surprised if it takes anything close to a year to get the visa, a few months is about the going rate.

Anyway, no there is no visa requirement to be currently working in the occupation. But if he isn't already well down the track with state sponsorship lined up etc, I would be hesitant to change career just yet, say the occupation goes of a list and he has to wait for it to reappear on another list, then his application for sponsorship would be enhanced if he is currently in the occupation.

What is he applying as anyway? Quite unusual to see banking / management occupations on the sponsorship lists, so I am just curious.

Thanks for the reply. We are awaiting his skills assessment still....should be coming back soon (we hope!). He is a corporate services manager 132111. The occupation had been on the list for ACT but it has been removed for the time being, but it is currently still on the list for SA. I hadn't thought too hard about it being taken off the list and then having to wait for it to reappear again, thank you for mentioning that! I will tell him to at least wait until he has gotten the state sponsorship lined up. It was just a job opportunity that came up for him that got us thinking, ya know?

Thank you so much for the advice!

Archived