Accountant moving from UK to Aus

JoeBish

Hi

I am just after some advice around moving to Australia as an accountant.

I am a qualified ACA with a big 4 firm in the UK. By the time I intend to move, I will have 2 years post-qual experience and will have experience in external audit, internal audit, operational restructuring and financial reporting (IFRS and US GAAP).

Firstly, how easily will I be able to get a visa? and secondly, how easily will I be able to find a job?

Also interested to know what sort of salary I would expect, basically whether the salary would allow me a better quality of life than UK.

I'm thinking primarily of living in Melbourne, but would be flexible depending on where it would be easiest to find work.

Thanks in advance!

Joe

Hi Joe,

I'm a qualified CIMA accountant and worked in Adelaide and Melbourne as a Project Accountant and then a Senior Management Accountant on a working holiday visa in 2011/2012. At the time I had around 2-3 years PQE and I found work reasonably easy although I thought the recruitment process was a bit less hurried than the UK but with similarities such as it being tougher to find a job around Christmas.

In terms of the visa I am currently half way through the process but it's not too difficult I don't think providing you have the points - you have your skills assessed and do a straight forward English test (IELTS) and then submit an expression of interest. Can't comment on what happens after that as I'm not there yet but I've heard that it could take weeks to several months depending on the number of points you have to be invited to apply for a visa after which you have your criminal and health checks.

In terms of lifestyle I much preferred living and working in Melbourne to being back in the UK (I'm in the South East but I'm originally from Yorkshire) and I'd very much like to return. Feel free to send me a message if you have any more questions regarding salary or more personal specifics and I'd be happy to help you out with recruiters etc. if you end up there before me!

Where do you live at the moment?

Kind Regards,

Steve

Hi

I am just after some advice around moving to Australia as an accountant.

I am a qualified ACA with a big 4 firm in the UK. By the time I intend to move, I will have 2 years post-qual experience and will have experience in external audit, internal audit, operational restructuring and financial reporting (IFRS and US GAAP).

Firstly, how easily will I be able to get a visa? and secondly, how easily will I be able to find a job?

Also interested to know what sort of salary I would expect, basically whether the salary would allow me a better quality of life than UK.

I'm thinking primarily of living in Melbourne, but would be flexible depending on where it would be easiest to find work.

Thanks in advance!

Joe

You need to start with quality of life in UK and package to provide comparison

But be advised from outset some +20 Qualified CA's are currently looking >6 months for work. Having <5 years opens a bigger base for you, but earnings to cost of living expectations still requires careful planning.

Have a look through www.seek.com.au to get a flavour for current positions being sort after. Hays do downloadable market salary reports.

Should still be easy to get straight CA UK to CA Aust assessed.

Archived