Rental references

Guest The Thomsons

Guest The Thomsons

Having never rented before I'm not really sure of what the situation is regarding rental references and I'd be grateful for people's experiences...is this somethiing you need to provide and what format does it need to be if you have never been a tennant....?

Cheers

Guest deedardingle

AS far as i know references are a must, although i read somewhere last week that if you have never rented (like us ) then get your morgage company to give you one if that fails i would take my morgage statements for the last 2 yrs as evidence that you are reliable with payments

Guest Bolton2Brisbane

Some agents work on a 100 point system and others dont, we brought a copy of our Council Tax statement, if you have funds in your account get a letter of introduction from your bank (we just got a statement and the bank to stamp it).

Photocopy you passport and driving document as this will help, if you have sold a house in the UK bring the leaflet which is in the estate agents window . Most agents are aware that you will have no rental history in Australia and take tis into account.

Guest mandy1

Hi

We have been here for 4 weeks now and like you did not rent in the UK as we owned our house. We have secured a rental here by offering to pay 6 months rent in advance. We did have a character reference from a friend that lives in Australia but other than that nothing! The agents all require a 100 point ID check (passport/visa and driving licence are usually enough to get the 100 points) and I suppose if you bring mortgage statements etc.. that show regular payments it can't hurt. However being able to offer rental payments in advance its probably your best bargaining chip as far as getting a rental is concerned

Mandy x

Guest The Thomsons

Thanks everyone fro your replies. At least we know what to do now although it sounds more difficult than it was to get out mortgage! Oh well, just another obstacle to overcome...

Archived