Ferny hill, Arana hill advice

Eng32

Hi,

We've been living in Central Queensland for 2 years but my husband has a new job located in Brisbane Fortitude valley. We have been down for a reccie of the area we liked and originally wanted Eatons Hill but it seems hubby would need to take 3 different buses to get to work?? Does anyone know any different/travel times?

We also liked Ferny Hills and Arana Hills. Easier commute. Do you know the catchment area for Ferny state Primary? If we lived in Arana I would be worried my daughter would be outside the catchment. Is there any areas/streets to avoid?

Any help on the above would be a huge help, my head is spinning with it all. Going back down in a week or so for a more in depth look at this particular area before we commit. We really like a quiet area to live mostly with good to moderate commute.

Thanks in advance :notworthy:

Hi,

We've been living in Central Queensland for 2 years but my husband has a new job located in Brisbane Fortitude valley. We have been done for a re vie of the area we liked and originally wanted Eatons Hill but it seems hubby would need to take 3 different buses to get to work?? Does anyone know any different/travel times?

We also liked Ferny Hills and Arana Hills. Easier commute. Do you know the catchment area for Ferny state Primary? If we lived in Arana I would be worried my daughter would be outside the catchment. Is there any areas/streets to avoid?

Any help on the above would be a huge help, my head is spinning with it all. Going back down in a week or so for a more in depth look at this particular area before we commit. We really like a quiet area to live mostly with good to moderate commute.

Thanks in advance :notworthy:

Hi

We live in Eatons Hill and I travel to the CBD every day. I drive the short distance to Strathpine Railway station and get the train in to the city. The train goes through the Valley station and takes approx 35 minutes. Perhaps you could drop and pick your husband up from the railway station if you don't have a second car? Hope this helps.

Hi

We live in Eatons Hill and I travel to the CBD every day. I drive the short distance to Strathpine Railway station and get the train in to the city. The train goes through the Valley station and takes approx 35 minutes. Perhaps you could drop and pick your husband up from the railway station if you don't have a second car? Hope this helps.

Hi, thanks for the reply, we do have a second car, how long is the drive to Strathpine station? Is it easy to park and leave the car? Parking charges?

Thanks again

It is 10 minutes maximum to the station. Loads of parking spaces provided you get there before 8.30am. As most office workers start at 8.30am in the city they get spaces....

It is free to park. There are also security cameras so it is relatively safe to park there. Touch wood I have not seen any broken windows yet in five years of commuting, unlike where I used to park for the train in the UK!

The other bonus is that the trains run on time here, almost to the minute. Buses are not so reliable time wise as they have to deal with rush hour traffic but the timetable allows for the congestion. In the school holidays the buses even arrive earlier than timetabled in the city. If I am car-less (eg when my parents are over and borrowing my car) I use the bus from Eatons Hill and it is approx 60 minutes door to door.

Glad that has helped. However, I wouldn't limit yourself to just one area as around Eatons Hill (eg Cashmere, Albany Creek) are lovely too and Albany Creek has good state schools too. Ferny Hills/Grove are supposed to be good areas to live too.

Not particularly bad roads, as far as I am aware. Personally, we like where we are in Eatons Hill as we are in a fairly new development called Eatons Rise which is tucked away (a series of cul de sacs) and a fair way away from Old Northern Road. We have a very large pub (Eatons Hill Tavern) on Old Northern Road which has large events and concerts. I am not sure what the noise would be like for houses in Eatons Hill that are closer to the pub. Personally, I would avoid any straight main roads in Brisbane as you are less likely to experience hooning/burn outs but if you are currently based in Central Qld you probably know all about that! :wink:

Ok, thanks, I did wonder about the noise and possible rowdy patrons at closing time coming from Eatons Tavern lol, so that I will look out for. We are lucky that hooning is not much of a problem in our area, but I do always look for roads that have this potential and to look for tyre marks on the road! Lol :rolleyes:

Hi there. EH is lovely - I would avoid Queen Elizabeth Drive for the hooning. Here has been quite a few break ins in the area recently - for some reason Saraband drive bears the brunt. There is an older part of EH and some of the houses there need a bit of work.

Are you renting or buying? If renting, there can be a bit of a shortage so I would consider Albany Creek too.

Have you visited the area? EH school is massive and I feel it has suffered with a lack of consistency in the same years groups and little accountability. Seems to be improving though.

Please PM with any questions. I am on my phone only this week so bear with me!

Hi there. EH is lovely - I would avoid Queen Elizabeth Drive for the hooning. Here has been quite a few break ins in the area recently - for some reason Saraband drive bears the brunt. There is an older part of EH and some of the houses there need a bit of work.

Are you renting or buying? If renting, there can be a bit of a shortage so I would consider Albany Creek too.

Have you visited the area? EH school is massive and I feel it has suffered with a lack of consistency in the same years groups and little accountability. Seems to be improving though.

Please PM with any questions. I am on my phone only this week so bear with me!

Hi Alaska, thanks for the great info, it really helps, we really want to buy this time, been renting for 2 years due to oH work. Can't bare to rent again if I can help it :arghh: But I depends on a few things so keeping things open for now. We have been there driving around and looking down various street for places we liked. But a second look will be good. My daughter is in an excellent state school atm so I am a little nervous about getting into a school that's as good or better.

Archived