457 processing times

AJ235

Hi all,

I did search and found a couple of threads similar to this, however I thought it may be useful for some people if I start a more recent one...

I applied for a subclass 457 visa onshore on 21/03/2014 (nomination and visa application submitted at the same time). It has been completed through a migration agent and unfortunately a case officer has not yet been allocated.

Just wondering what others peoples experiences are recently of the timeframes for 457 visas? Is there a backlog that DIBP are working through?

My current 457 expires in July and I am changing employers. My new employer would like me to commence asap but of course I cannot do this until the visa is approved.

Any recent experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks

AJ

They seem to vary a lot but generally appear to be 4-8 weeks. The most recent I have direct knowledge of is a coworker. My employer submitted the nomination for a coworker on Nov. 7th and it was approved on Nov. 11th, the employee submitted his application on Nov. 18th and it was approved on Dec. 5th. This was an intra-company transfer so that may have sped things along.

• 2 weeks later...

My daughters fiancé has been waiting for his employers nomination to be approved since it was submitted in December 2013. They then submitted their applications in early January this year shortly before their WHVs expired. They have been on bridging visas since Jan. They are both onshore, working (fiancé with the sponsoring company) and completely stressed! No agent is involved. Fiancé has been contacted by a CO requesting more information (2months ago) and then the CO realised that the nomination was still outstanding. A CO contacted the employer a month ago, and since then diddly squat.

In another month they will have completed 6 months in the same job since being on the bridging visa, which, if it replicates their WHV will mean they will have to leave their jobs (I assume - can someone advise?) All told, her fiancé will, in a month, have been in the role nearly a year (5 months WHV/6 months bridging)

They are both UK citizens, so from a 'low risk' country, working extremely hard, loving their new life together, with this cloud of uncertainty over them.....

I have read the timelines for other applicants, and am amazed at the speed of some (does having an agent help with shortening the time to approval?) the Immi website publicises a 2-3month turnaround.... Clearly the application above has gone way beyond that already, but what can you do apart from chew yet another nail down to the quick?

Good luck with yours AJ! I'm sure it'll be approved in quick time....

Hi ProudmuminUK,

Thanks for the info - that's seems to be awfully long to be waiting! I fully know the stress they must be feeling! I received some good news today that the nomination has been approved and I am just awaiting my visa to be approved now. Hoping it won't be much longer. I'm sorry I can't advise on if the bridging visa replicates the whv, hopefully someone who knows can answer?

I hope they hear some good news soon.

Hi all,

My prospective employer sent off the nomination earlier this week, so I'm just waiting to hear back. I'm also waiting for my AHPRA registration to arrive as I can't apply without it.

Lots going on at the moment as our house is due to exchange any day, so need to find somewhere to live until the visa comes through.

Best of luck everyone, I hope you're not left waiting too long. Exciting times!!

Archived