[TD] 411311[/TD]

[TD] Diversional Therapist[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] 451815[/TD]

[TD] First Aid Trainer[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Thanks for posting this Tee, but as someone who is living in South Australia at the moment, I just wanted to point out to people that unemployment is really high here at the moment - whatever the official figures say! I know there are lots of people that will see this list and think, "Great, I'll apply for South Australia and take my family there" but for me, this just means a bad situation will get worse for those of us already here.

Yes, I'm selfish, but when vacancies are getting 200 applicants for one job here, I really wish the Immigration Department would NOT try and bring more and more people in: even if their job is apparently 'in demand' (and really, Database Administrator? First Aid Trainer?) then every family that moves here brings more people in who will potentially be competing for the fewer and fewer jobs that are available - their spouses, their kids as they get older.... d'you know what? As the wife of a skilled migrant whose job hangs in the balance and whose contract is renewed only a month at a time, and the mother of a young adult who - along with her friends - struggles to find any job - I really think perhaps South Australia should shut the doors for a little while and concentrate on improving the job situation for people already here!

As I've said on the thread on Poms in Adelaide, about the only growth industry here in SA is Unemployment. Perhaps Unemployment Advisor should be on this list!

I've also just spoken to someone who is a librarian here - apparently there is NO shortage of librarians in SA! A shortage of jobs, yes, but not a shortage of applicants!

Thanks for posting this Tee, but as someone who is living in South Australia at the moment, I just wanted to point out to people that unemployment is really high here at the moment - whatever the official figures say! I know there are lots of people that will see this list and think, "Great, I'll apply for South Australia and take my family there" but for me, this just means a bad situation will get worse for those of us already here.

Yes, I'm selfish, but when vacancies are getting 200 applicants for one job here, I really wish the Immigration Department would NOT try and bring more and more people in: even if their job is apparently 'in demand' (and really, Database Administrator? First Aid Trainer?) then every family that moves here brings more people in who will potentially be competing for the fewer and fewer jobs that are available - their spouses, their kids as they get older.... d'you know what? As the wife of a skilled migrant whose job hangs in the balance and whose contract is renewed only a month at a time, and the mother of a young adult who - along with her friends - struggles to find any job - I really think perhaps South Australia should shut the doors for a little while and concentrate on improving the job situation for people already here!

As I've said on the thread on Poms in Adelaide, about the only growth industry here in SA is Unemployment. Perhaps Unemployment Advisor should be on this list!

I've also just spoken to someone who is a librarian here - apparently there is NO shortage of librarians in SA! A shortage of jobs, yes, but not a shortage of applicants![/QUOte]

The skilled occupation lists are supposed to represent long term needs, not the immediate job situation. If there were immediate short term needs then the 457 visa is in place to provide relief.

But you have a valid point, in that it is important that any migrant researches the job markets properly and does not assume that because the job is on a list it means that there are plenty of vacancies. With over 6% unemployment in Australia, this is definitely not the case.

The trouble is, if 'researching the job markets' means looking on job advert sites such as Seek, or speaking to recruitment agents, then the data obtained is far from reliable, as we all know that frequently recruitment agents advertise jobs that don't exist! Very few employers either will consider an applicant who doesn't already have an arrival date, and very few migrants are lucky enough to secure a job before their arrival. Hence why I posted with a view from someone who is in Australia and speaks to lots of people in lots of situations out here. Hopefully a prospective migrant's research will include reading forums!

Prospective migrants looking at these lists need to bear in mind also that if a particular job is identified as being in need of applicants a year or so in the future, then those poor souls out here who are out of work because of industry shut downs or contract cancellations (yes Tony Abbott with your plans to buy in submarines, cars and any other manufactured product from Japan rather than have them built in South Australia), or who are not getting any hours work may well go and retrain in those careers, so by the time a migrant has his/her visa, the shortages have been filled by locally qualified people (who have the added advantages of local knowledge and hopefully contacts).

Archived