Urgent Renewal Passport Issue

johnosmad

Hey everyone,

I need to be in Hong Kong for a week, flights are already booked 14/5 to 21/5 and I just noticed my passport expires on June 8th,

I need to know if I need to renew it, the uk.gov website states that I do not need any time beyond my stay to be valid on my passport but various other websites state that I need a month valid beyond the departure date from HK,

Has anyone renewed from Australia recently and if so what was the cost/turn around time? as apparently they are processed in the UK now and not NZ.

What are my options in regards to getting it sent to my parents address in the UK and getting someone I know to carry it over to Oz with them in a few weeks time. Or can I get a fast track and have someone rock up at the passport office and pick it up for me?

Any suggestions are appreciated that would get me a valid passport in time to fly so I am not relying on good luck and chance,

I am aware I should have checked before booking flights blah blah blah so save going on about that too much,

Thanks

I would check with the airline, and also HK government to see what the requirements are. If you need to renew, you can get an emergency passport very quickly indeed, but with the time available, you have time enough - I think, nearing in mind post office delays - to renew. Can you not also pay more for an expedited return? Your thought regarding having it sent to friends in UK and courier back to Australia - the post office can do it quicker, I think.

I recently went to Singapore with a passport less than 6 months on it - they checked at Qantas office for eligibility, and i could board (and return ...) with no problems

Thanks for the reply guys, yep, I'm on a 176 and it is still in date, looking online I reckon I can rock up at the immi office in Perth and they can transfer over the visa apparently, I just spoke to the passport office in the UK and they said if I apply from AU then the passport has to be returned to an AU address and no-one can pick it up, what a pain in the ar$e..because it is an overseas application as well there is nothing they can do in regards to speeding it up, so I guess my main question becomes, How long have others waited for their passports to arrive and does anyone have experience getting emergency travel documents without any real reason to travel?

Im in the queue to Air Asia now and currently sitting at number 28 lol, could be a while.....

Guest guest90395

I applied online on 11th Feb, they got my documents on the 17th and when I rang last week to check on progress they said I could expect it back around April 11th. So just over 8 weeks in total.

Archived