Help

Valkira

Hello everyone. I have a few question for you gays. I'm wondering is it better for me to nostrify bachelor degree here in Serbia before we apply for visa? I graduated faculty of law here in Serbia. We contact people from SLAA. Or get master in Australia. Because we do not know what will be better for finding job in oz for later... My husband is a hairdresser so we are hope that he will find job quicker than me... To much questions :) Sorry

Guest The Pom Queen

Sorry, I haven't answered because I don't know the answer. I presume the other members who have looked don't know the answer either, sorry. Have you asked a migration agent.

Guest The Pom Queen

Actually an agent probably won't have the answers either. I would say people will prefer an Australian qualification if that's an option. Where in Australia are you heading

I'm not sure it's just the gays that can help you dear, or whether we can nostrify anything for you ? But i'll just Bumpety Bump your post anyway :-) !!

Actually an agent probably won't have the answers either. I would say people will prefer an Australian qualification if that's an option. Where in Australia are you heading

Probably Adelaide... Maybe Melbourne... Agent doesn't know. He live in Serbia. He think that I can only go with nostrification. Master in Aus is very expensive.

Nostrify is a word, apparently! Not one I've heard before, but it is!

To nostrificate; to grant recognition to a degree from a foreign university; To adopt, accept, or include as part of one's own culture

I'm guessing in the context of this thread, it'd be "to grant recognition to a degree from a foreign university"

In many cases that I've heard of regarding legal practitioners wanting to practice in the legal or judicial system of Australia, an Australian qualification seems to be preferable. It is likely that you will have to re-train.

I think you may be disappointed regarding the abundance of hairdressing jobs for your husband, and I think you will also probably be disappointed that you will need to look into retraining in the Australian legal system at University and that may be a painful process including applying for credit for prior learning, providing evidence and documentation, payment of international student fees etc.

Not to be a negative nancy but if I've understood the OP's post correctly then I feel that this unfortunately may be the situation.

If it helps in terms of the law stuff (can't help on the hairdressing) - I have a UK law degree and legal practice course and also studied law for a year in WA, none of these would allow me to practice as a solicitor or barrister in Australia.

If you're looking at Adelaide, you need to contact the Law Society of South Australia. They are likely to want to review the details of what you studied as part of your degree in Serbia (so you would need transcripts, module summaries etc.) and then they would recommend additional courses you would need to undertake to be able to practice law here. That's if you wanted to practice as a solicitor. Remember that each state/territory has it's own law society and own requirements so you'd need to be pretty sure about where you want to settle.

If you're not looking to practice as a solicitor - you may be able to find other work using the skills from your degree, but from what I hear legal jobs here are pretty competitive and they generally prefer candidates with an Australian law degree and/or some local experience. I'm not sure having a masters would help, unless you did it here.

What type of visa are you planning to apply for?

Archived