Where to live in queensland

Mistymorningstar

...At 66 years of age, fit and well, I have had a great desire to move to Queensland where I actually grew up...I love nature and the sounds of nature, am not a surburban type ...would like to return to the Queensland Bush. I would love to have some advice from other members please. If I was asked to relay the perfect situation it would be a large piece of land allowing me to have a couple of cottages/caravans to rent out. I would have approximately $600,000 to spend on a property (depending on exchange rate of course). Any ideas would be appreciated. Many thanks, Misty

We live in urban Cairns, and love it. If you are interested in this area, yet want to be on the tourist trail, I would suggest Kuranda. About 40 minutes from the centre of Cairns, it offers many of the lifestyle options you seek. Buying property with acreage would certainly be an option.

An alternative f you wish to establish holiday accommodation could also be the Sunshine Coast hinterland. Obviously more temperate, yet still on the Australian and international tourist trail.

I certainly would not go much further inland than Kuranda (in FNQ) or Montville (on SSC) as in my experience tourists mainly travel the coastal route.

If you have any chronic health needs consider the current medical industrial dispute within Qld Health. It does not seem to have really grabbed public attention yet. I am prevented from making public comment due to the threat of instant dismissal for social media commentary. I suggest you read widely about the dispute before you commit.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest ayan05

surfers Paradise

it has everything you could want and a lot more, i stayed there with my family on holiday and i did not want to go home

Could anyone advise on what house prices are doing on Gold Coast at moment and anyone know which direction they are going in? Just weighing up our options as to keep or sell uk house, at mo our plan is keep it now and rent out as it's in south east and prices keep rising so thinking sell in a few years once we are sure we are staying in Australia. Are prices likely to rise as quickly on Gold Coast? Then there's the exchange rate??? Was told as economy in uk gets better then you get more Aus dollar for the pound? Too many decisions! Any advice? Xx

No contest. If I could retire to anywhere in Oz it would be Port Douglas. Recently spent a week there (my first visit) and just loved it.

For retirement it would indeed be lovely. Cost of living is high though, and work could be a problem of a working income and is required.

Archived