Cheap 1 way flights with Singapore air out of Amsterdam.

w1johnston

Booked flights last night going from Amsterdam to Brisbane 1 way in September, 2 adults, 1 child and an infant for £1500. We booked directly through the airline website.

That fare allows us a 4 day stopover in Singapore where we are looking to get flights to Phuket for a few nights. If we didnt have the stopover the fare would have been £1417.

We added flights from Newcastle to Amsterdam for under £200 with 40kg baggage through easy jet.

Hope this is of use to some.

W1johnston

Looks like a fairly good price but......what happens if Easyjet don't get you to Amsterdam in time to make the Singapore flight? Could be any number of reasons (bad weather, plane goes tech etc). Does your SIA ticket allow you to transfer to the next available flight? Who pays for a hotel in Amsterdam whilst you wait for the next flight? What if your arrival in Singapore is delayed by 24/48hours - what happens to your trip to Phuket?

Hopefully everything will run smoothly but...you are dealing with 2 separate flight providers, neither of whom has any responsibility for the actions or inability of the other to deliver their part of this deal.

Looks like a fairly good price but......what happens if Easyjet don't get you to Amsterdam in time to make the Singapore flight? Could be any number of reasons (bad weather, plane goes tech etc). Does your SIA ticket allow you to transfer to the next available flight? Who pays for a hotel in Amsterdam whilst you wait for the next flight? What if your arrival in Singapore is delayed by 24/48hours - what happens to your trip to Phuket?

Hopefully everything will run smoothly but...you are dealing with 2 separate flight providers, neither of whom has any responsibility for the actions or inability of the other to deliver their part of this deal.

These are fair points, thanks for pointing them out. We are flying to amsterdam the day before so that does give us time for a back up plan but as for the flight to Phuket and back... i will have to look into that!

Thanks

My brother is just after booking the same. He got a fantastic price from Amsterdam to Brisbane for September with Singapore.

It's a bit easier for us what with being Dutch and having family 10 minutes from Schiphol. I often fly over the day or even a week before if I can, visit my family and then fly on to wherever I am going. Make sure you give yourself plenty of time to get to Amsterdam though, in case anything this side of the North Sea goes wrong. :-)

Are you sure these are Singapore Airlines flights and not 'code shares' with KLM? That would explain the cheaper price and the Amsterdam hub.

Nothing wrong with KLM - we took that route from Perth but it is a different experience in terms of comfort and service compared to Singapore Airlines flights.

On the two airlines and what happens if it all goes wrong, ensure that the travel insurance you take out covers you for missed departures caused by public transport (including scheduled flights) - I believe any policies underwritten by Lloyds of London include this.

Another potential issue though could be if Easyjet lost your bags, I do not think they would be picking up the cost of transferring them to Australia!

Are you sure these are Singapore Airlines flights and not 'code shares' with KLM? That would explain the cheaper price and the Amsterdam hub.

Nothing wrong with KLM - we took that route from Perth but it is a different experience in terms of comfort and service compared to Singapore Airlines flights.

On the two airlines and what happens if it all goes wrong, ensure that the travel insurance you take out covers you for missed departures caused by public transport (including scheduled flights) - I believe any policies underwritten by Lloyds of London include this.

Another potential issue though could be if Easyjet lost your bags, I do not think they would be picking up the cost of transferring them to Australia!

Deffo flying with Singapore airlines, at least my brother is. Not that I have a problem with the KLM, but being Dutch I am a little biased.

I do agree about the experience being somewhat different to SIA though.

Archived