Spouse visa activation question

snapper123

Hi i am looking for advise regarding visa activation. we are a famliy of two adults and two children. my wife is australian and our children are now australian citizens. we currently live in uk and i am expecting to have visa approved by august. Once it's approved, can someone tell me if it's possible just to activate the visa (by just going to Australia for a quick visit then coming back to the U.K.) or do you to go with your partner and stay there permanently by the set date. I have heard of people having their visas cancelled due to them not living there.we are worried as my wife is finding it hard to get a job in child protection in melbourne and we do not want to arrive without having jobs .

My understanding is that you can do a visa validation visit/holiday - so enter Australia to validate/activate the visa and then return home to UK when done.

I don't know if you have to move to Australia to live, after a certain period, or maybe you never have to move... I would be keen to know what the rule is for this! I'm sure someone else will come along and answer this part of the question for you.

Thanks Vicky from what you said I presume we will have 5yrs as I think this is the duration of the visa ?. We would like to move ASAP but have only managed to get one phone interview in 4 months we are finding it hard to get interviews even through my wife’s profession is also on the occupations list ? :no: most of the positions available seem to be rural

Yes you can go validate the visa yourself - just going through immigration validates the visa so you could get on the next flight out if you wanted.

PR visas are valid for 5 years - which let you travel to and from Australia - after the 5 years you require a resident return visa to be able to enter Australia.

Archived