Is UK HGV driving licence recognised in Australia?

jinn

Is UK driving licence HGV class easy recognised in Australia?

My friend is a HGV driver and insists it is recognised and he could work as a truck driver in Australia.

VicRoads, RTA, WA DoT websites are a bit confusing, they recognise car and motorbike licence without resitting tests, but it looks like HR, HC class drivers must resit tests, and to obtain HR licence:

• Experience required to upgrade your licence or remove a restriction: Must have held:
    • C (Car) class licence for at least two (2) years; or
    • LR (Light Rigid) class licence for at least one (1) year; or
    • MR (Medium Rigid) class licence for at least one (1) year.

and HC class:

Experience required to upgrade your licence or remove a restriction: Must have held:

• C (Car) class licence for at least three years (3); and
  • MR (Medium Rigid) class licence or HR (Heavy Rigid) class licence for at least one (1) year.

Can British HGV driver easy recognise UK licence and obtain Australian HR/HC licence?

In Victoria you can get your car and motorbike licence straight away without tests, providing they are on your British licence. HGV is different. You can apply to Vic Roads if you have had a HGV in the UK for dispensation to take a HC ( artic ) test. If they say no you will be able to do the heavy rigid test. I have just applied for dispensation to do the HC test without doing the HR test. I have sent copies of my British licence, Victoria licence, a letter from my boss in UK and am just waiting on the outcome.

• 9 years later...

Hi, I've just moved from Scotland to Perth WA and am going through this at the moment.i have class 2 for 20years and class1 for past 2 years what happens is you go to DOT department of transport and while they recognise your car and motorcycle you ask them to mark the date of your hgv experience on their system.for the term you have held your hgv licence.their system only recognises your hgv as MR medium rigid class.however as long as you have your hgv for more than a year you can apply to sit the class above HC CLASS 1EQUIVALENT.you then have to redo your class 1 again.its only a 2 day course 2500 dollars.

Like most things here it's way different from home.dont get me started on their driving.

Hope this helps anyone who's wondering what to do.cheers Gary 

L

• Like 1