Ship Officer

farmer82

Can some one guide me how can i get migrated to australia if i am a ship officer also to get my maritime qualification assesed do i have to give an oral exam with AMSA can i get any leway of not doing so , Lastly if i have not done my EILTS what else ways i can prove my english ability to get points for visa.

You will have to pass the AMSA oral exam and medical - both in Australia.

You will have to pass the oral exam as it is considered your skills assessment - there is no way around this as it is clearly stated in Marine Order 3 (and the new Marine Order 70).

The AMSA COR oral exam is very difficult and many people fail it.

You are also unlikely to find work in the offshore sector unless you have prior experience.

• 2 weeks later...

PWA200 is quite correct. Unfortunately you will have to sit an orals for the grade of certificate that you are applying for before you can apply for the visa.

You can only sit the orals in Australia, I don't believe there are any areas outside Australia that provide AMSA orals.

I am currently going through this process and it's a long one. IELTS is the best way to boost your points but it's not an easy exam and takes some degree of preparation even for a native English speaker.

I would ensure that you can achieve the points required before committing to applying for the skills assessment.

Just out of interest which country issued your STCW certificate of competency, and is it OOW, Chief Mate or Master.

I have some AMSA study material for Master Unlimited if you're interested in that.

Thanks again , can you look for a detail list what they ask at mates oral and where all in australia does these orals happen and also where the surveyor taking orals are good and understanding . as in UK some places they are good and ask to there patterns and some are realy pain in hope australian surveyors also have patterns in orals to ask . any clue on it pls share.

thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I took the oral in Fremantle last year, it was similar to the UK oral and not particularly complicated. Send me a PM with your e-mail address and I will send you a list of questions asked.

I cannot say what the orals are like elsewhere, but my oral last over an hour and was thorough but very professional. It is important to be well prepared.

Good Day Captain Sir

I am Karan . will be obliged if u send me in the oral report also where did u gave ur orals and who was the surveyor,

also can u tell me more where did u stay and where all did u study for ur orals like notes or books , can u send me a link or ur notes on my email

thanks

• 1 year later...

Good day captain C. I gone through your threads , its really helpfull.

Today i received assessmentcreply from amsa and they ask me to pass orals and medical from amsa approved centre.

Can you assist me with this . Some oral stuff to prepare for chief mate oral, and guidance from where its better to appear. How long itctake to clear these both thing so i can budget accordingly.

• 7 months later...

good day captainR

Im here in sydney just finished my medical exams and planning to take an orals in AMSA as a deck officer, im a 2/0 in a cape size bulk carrier trying my luck here and to bring my family as well, i will appreciate any help that u can give me sir..thnks and looking forward for your swift response..

cheers

good day captainR

Im here in sydney just finished my medical exams and planning to take an orals in AMSA as a deck officer, im a 2/0 in a cape size bulk carrier trying my luck here and to bring my family as well, i will appreciate any help that u can give me sir..thnks and looking forward for your swift response..

cheers

Try this thread first; http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/jobs-careers/238200-ships-master-ships-officer-marine-pilot-essential-info.html Lots of information there to get you started.

Unfortunately the market in Australia is tough at the moment, some coastal vessels have changed from Australian manning, the Offshore industry has fallen on its knees. So there are plenty of well qualified Australians and New Zealanders looking for work. Good luck with everything.

Archived