Apple says 'no'.

Guest Guest66881

Guest Guest66881

A man whose mother bequeathed her iPad to her family in her will says Apple's security rules are too restrictive.

Josh Grant, 26, from London, told BBC Radio 4's You & Yours his mother bought the tablet during her cancer treatment.

Since her death, they have been unable to unlock the device, despite providing Apple with copies of her will, death certificate and solicitor's letter, BBC News website reported.

Apple says its security measures have led the industry in helping customers protect lost or stolen devices.

Anthea Grant bought the tablet two years ago when she had her first cancer diagnosis, using it mainly for games and for video calling to keep in touch with her sons.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/world/a/21850210/security-sours-apple-inheritance/

Guest Guest66881

Apple shifted billions in untaxed profits from its Australian operations to Ireland over the past decade, a report said on Thursday, as the government vowed to stop global companies from dodging their fair share of tax.

An investigation by the Australian Financial Review obtained 10 years worth of financial accounts for Apple Sales International -- an arm of the organisation it described as the "secretive" Irish company at the heart of the group's global tax arrangements.

The newspaper said the US tech giant moved an estimated Aus$8.9 billion (US$8.1 billion) in untaxed profits from Australia to a tax haven structure in Ireland, paying just 0.7 percent of its turnover in tax.

Last year, Apple declared pre-tax earnings in Australia of only Aus$88.5 million after sending an estimated Aus$2 billion from its Australian sales to Ireland via Singapore, it reported.

Apple in Australia declined to comment to AFP, but the company has previously said it has complied with the law and done everything required by the tax office. There is no suggestion it has done anything illegal.http://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/apple-sent-billions-offshore-avoid-192227088.html

As far as Apple are concerned it will be obsolete now anyway given their product lifecycle.

The iPad 2 first sold 3 years ago is still for sale. I think this may be down to the opposite issue. Apple is so good at upgrading its older devices with the latest OS.

This iPad has probably been upgraded to iOS7 and has the Activation Lock feature on. This feature was added to address the rampant thieving of smartphones: http://support.apple.com/kb/PH13695?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

People need to share their iCloud password with their loved ones to avoid bricking their iDevices if they have this feature on. Personally I love it but then all my passwords are in a password manager so easy to share with my wife.

I was being a bit flippant fish, but the original iPad won't run iOS 7 (maybe even 6, don't have one so don't know) and product obsolescence is not just an Apple thing.

White goods are no longer designed or built to last 20+ years or more like they used to. Cheaper to replace than repair most items.

Archived