Did anyone have a car on finance before moving back to UK, what did you do?

tillyd

Guest BrisbaneBevan

You have to repay the loan early (selling the car to finance it) and unfortunately perhaps forfeit a early repayment penalty? Hopefully the car hasn't depreciated more than your loan interest has appreciated, otherwise you may have a negative balance.

How long have you had the car?

If it's over 50% through its finance period you can hand it back to the finance company. There's a clause in (I believe all) car finance loans that makes this possible. My OH has done it once, nearly twice!

Of course the finance people do their own "checks" and charge for dents and scratches, and there's paperwork and an admin fee but could be worth a look????

How long have you had the car?

If it's over 50% through its finance period you can hand it back to the finance company. There's a clause in (I believe all) car finance loans that makes this possible. My OH has done it once, nearly twice!

Of course the finance people do their own "checks" and charge for dents and scratches, and there's paperwork and an admin fee but could be worth a look????

Grrrrr just realised which direction you're traveling in so apologies if this isn't so in Aus xx

You have to repay the loan early (selling the car to finance it) and unfortunately perhaps forfeit a early repayment penalty? Hopefully the car hasn't depreciated more than your loan interest has appreciated, otherwise you may have a negative balance.

Depending on the contract though you may need permission to sell it. We got around it by paying the loan off first then selling.

However, also depending on the exact nature of the finance contract you may be able to hand it back to the finance company - whether you'd want to do that depends on how much you owe/how much it's worth.

Edited by Lady Rainicorn