the costs involved in getting a car

cathy99

Hi me again!

I wonder if someone could let me know all the costs involved in buying a car here and what the procedure is please? I'm just trying to sort out our monthly budget and i don't quite understand rego or how it works:wink: obviously back home we had car insurance, mot and tax!

Many thanks cathy

Rego is your road licence and tax effectively - you also get 3rd party insurance with it. Can pay 6 monthly or 12 monthly and it depends on the type of car you have as to how much it is (I have a Mitsubishi Lancer and it costs me $260 every 6 months). Then you've your insurance on top.

There is no MOT here so you just pay to have it serviced. The seem keen on doing it twice a year here, but I still take it just the once. Service cost me about $200.

Sorry - also you have to pay stamp duty when you by a car - a percentage of the value. They send you a bill a few weeks after the purchase.

....... The seem keen on doing it twice a year here, but I still take it just the once. Service cost me about $200.

I find this funny having just spent 4 years in the UK. I was forever getting my car serviced more frequently than was scheduled in the UK because I am Australian. I know that modern cars have fantastic diagnostics and maybe they can be serviced only once a year, but fluids? Oils and Power Steering & Brake fluids? Really?

I did notice a lot of relatively late model cars on fire in the UK - especially on the M25 - lol. I always wondered if they don't service them enough in the UK?

what you need to pay for are ...

First cost...

car - price shown at car yards:P plus options (tint windows, paint protection etc etc)

Rego fee - depend on car size. sometimes including into car price (if it is brand new)

stamp duty- you may be better to ask how much it would be! for me, i bought 2nd hand $13000 then about $400 ... not remember well but not cheap!

2ndly cost...

maintenance fee - minor check about $100-150, major check -$150-$250, but if you go to service to genuine dealer, normally $200-$400. There is not compulsory but recommended every 6 months or 10,000km in this country.

petrol

insurance - here in australia, insurance is for a car :)

i drive nissan micra 2012 model, petrol about $120 for a month (I put 95), service every 6 months $220 each (to nissan service), rego about $380 for a year, insurance is $350 for a year at the moment.

Seems like you get a good deal in WA kay, I have a little Barina but still have to pay 800+ a year rego. They dont take size into account in Vic I dont think

wow, that is really expensive! i didn't check the actual paperwork when i wrote it, so not sure exact price, but not excess $500 anyway...

insurance (health) etc, many things are cheap in wa actually... :) (not house/ rent tho!)

I did notice a lot of relatively late model cars on fire in the UK - especially on the M25 - lol. I always wondered if they don't service them enough in the UK?

Haha - maybe! Although my car has never set on fire due to only being serviced once a year.... and I do check the oil regularly to make sure there is some in there.

Archived