Bicycle Prices Australia

lamby

Hi there

I am looking at purchasing a new hybrid bicycle - something to use to and from work and to tootle about with my young sons. Nothing too flash but somewhere in the region of £300-400 UK prices. My current bike is on its last legs and ready to go to the big scrapyard in the sky after many years of reliable service. The thought has occurred to me to wait until I arrive in Oz (late July) and buy over there.

Anybody have advice on the prices of bikes (and bikes apparel) in Australia in comparison to UK (currently exchange rate is £1 to 1.85AUD). I generally ride a road bike at weekends so any advice on this would be helpful

Cheers

Phil

Generally more expensive, although not by nearly as much as they were when the exchange rate was 1.5

There are loads of good bike shops here (Sydney)....I buy some stuff locally but bulk buys online from Wiggle, who target the Aus market quite hard and have an excellent delivery system set up - everything gets to me within a few days.

I bought a new road bike in the UK to bring over here, but that was when the exchange rate was much worse. Not sure I would feel compelled to do that now. As ever, you can pick up a bike in last year's colours for a significant discount, it helps if you are looking for an average frame size though

Where are you heading for? Provision for cyclists varies quite widely. From what I have seen and heard, Sydney is probably the worst of the big cities in terms of cycling provision, maybe Melbourne or Canberra the best??

Generally more expensive, although not by nearly as much as they were when the exchange rate was 1.5

There are loads of good bike shops here (Sydney)....I buy some stuff locally but bulk buys online from Wiggle, who target the Aus market quite hard and have an excellent delivery system set up - everything gets to me within a few days.

I bought a new road bike in the UK to bring over here, but that was when the exchange rate was much worse. Not sure I would feel compelled to do that now. As ever, you can pick up a bike in last year's colours for a significant discount, it helps if you are looking for an average frame size though

Where are you heading for? Provision for cyclists varies quite widely. From what I have seen and heard, Sydney is probably the worst of the big cities in terms of cycling provision, maybe Melbourne or Canberra the best??

Thanks for that - seems pretty much what I thought. I'm off to Adelaide - apparently commuting is a bit of a nightmare although its easy to get up into the hills so the weekends should be fun. My road bikes are fine - recently bought one from Planet X in Sheffield so don't anticipate getting a new one for a while. How does Wiggle work from Australia. I notice that most reviews seem to be written by Aussies - is that down to the exchange rate or is it because bike clothing is much more expensive out there. Might be worth getting some extras to put in my container?

Wiggle are now in Aus so people use them from here no problems. If you go to the .co.uk site here it takes you to the Aus site ;)

Plenty of bike shops around, cycling is good and hills are fab to get up to. The path alongside the freeway makes a huge difference.

If you race or want to join a road club there are two to choose from. Although they tend not to have such organised club runs as the UK seems to. Racing at weekends up in the hills, round Vic park midweek evenings and cyclo x and stuff to.

Commuting isn't so bad, think it's more where from and what time etc. But depending on where you end up living, cycling into the CBD is usually good. We live in Glenelg and there is a bike path running pretty much all the wai into the city.

Guest Guest 47403

Having done a lot of research recently on bikes I don't think there is much in it tbh, In the last month or so I've bought a hybrid for the wife, a bike for my 8 year old daughter and a mountain bike for me, the only reason I've bought before we go is we had room in the container and it's one less thing to come out of the money once we arrive.

Thanks for that - seems pretty much what I thought. I'm off to Adelaide - apparently commuting is a bit of a nightmare although its easy to get up into the hills so the weekends should be fun. My road bikes are fine - recently bought one from Planet X in Sheffield so don't anticipate getting a new one for a while. How does Wiggle work from Australia. I notice that most reviews seem to be written by Aussies - is that down to the exchange rate or is it because bike clothing is much more expensive out there. Might be worth getting some extras to put in my container?

I know quite a few people who cycle to work here in Adelaide. Most people I know cycle to the CBD from various places including Klemzig and Hallet Cove. My OH cycles from Rostrevor to Wayville. Depending on what time you leave cycling can be as fast, if not faster, than driving. At the moment with the Clypsal (spelling?) race on getting to the city from the east is a bit of a nightmare and my OH is finding cycling much faster than driving. He avoids most of the main roads though and goes through the back streets as the main roads can be a bit scary on a bike.

Forgot to say, can't compare prices as the OH never had a bike in the UK but he bought a decent hybrid bike for just over $400 new. It's bottom of the range but does everything he needs. There are lots of good bike shops in Adelaide with people in them that seem to know what they are talking about. The one we went to were very good a helping us find the right size bike for the youngest son as well as advising my OH on his best options.

Wiggle are now in Aus so people use them from here no problems. If you go to the .co.uk site here it takes you to the Aus site ;)

Plenty of bike shops around, cycling is good and hills are fab to get up to. The path alongside the freeway makes a huge difference.

If you race or want to join a road club there are two to choose from. Although they tend not to have such organised club runs as the UK seems to. Racing at weekends up in the hills, round Vic park midweek evenings and cyclo x and stuff to.

Commuting isn't so bad, think it's more where from and what time etc. But depending on where you end up living, cycling into the CBD is usually good. We live in Glenelg and there is a bike path running pretty much all the wai into the city.

Thanks - that is helpful. Looking to join a cycling group if, as I hope, I get more time to train out there. We'll see. More of a social thing than competitive - do they have a similar Sportive scene as the UK?

To begin with we are looking at Port Noarlunga, but nothing is finalised until we get a proper look around - seems to be about 15 miles to CBD, but as a Science Teacher, it depends where the work is. Tailwind Cycles nearby seem to do something Saturday mornings so that could be an option.

Exciting stuff - can't wait!

Price aside the benefit of buying in Australia is you will get follow-up service from the bike shop and develop a relationship there.

Don't forget when looking at prices on-line that bike shops will almost always do deals and haggling on the price is even more common in Australia.

Not sure about a commute from out there. If you are going to be looking at supply teaching and the like to begin with it may be better to be closer to the city and therefore within easier reach of the northern suburbs as well as the southern ones. And also then the east and city area are good still.

There are sportives but not as common. More club rides and event rides.

The two main clubs I know of are Port Adelaide and Norwood. Not sure if there are any others down south, may well be. Some teams attached to cycling shops and businesses etc that cycle together.

Most people head up into the hills. You'd have to check out the best route from Port Noarlunga to them.

Archived