Dilemma!!

Guest mandymoo

Guest mandymoo

I wonder if anyone can give me some advice with a little dilemma I have!! Its a bit of a mad question really, but wonder if anyone who has been in the same 'boat' as us can help.

We are in the process of emigrating - visa's issued, house sold. We have a 3 year old little girl and are thinking of my husband travelling out approx 3 weeks before us. The reason for this is so that he can set up our home out there before we arrive. To me, it seems a bit mad for us to trek our daughter from one place to another until we find somewhere to live, and we just thought it would be easier if he did all of that on his own - we just thought it would be less stress for everyone. My family are so against us going seperate its unbelievable!! So, I thought that I'd ask you guys to see if anyone has done it was a 3 year and it really wasn't that bad or it was or has done it the same way we are thinking of doing it.

My family have been so supportive up until now, and they now starting to annoy me a tad about all this. Just wondered if its just me!!!!

Thanks

Amanda x

Guest spray21

I haven't gone at all yet myself, but there are plenty of people on this site who talk about one partner going out ahead to set things up and sort things out. It doesn't seem uncommon at all - in fact it makes a lot of sense!

I suppose downsides could be a)missing each other b)you do not get such an influence on decisions he makes - but it might be a nightmare trying to set things up from scratch in a foriegn country with a 3 year old!

Are you sure your family are really bothered about the order you go out or are they just getting upset about you going at all, now that it is imminent? I would try to reassure them that you are happy you're doing the right thing, rather than change your plans.

Good luck with it all!

I came with a 4-8 year old didn't know anyone never been to Perth before and had 2 weeks accomadation booked.We had no idea where to start.We jumped in with both feet and bought a house in the first 10 days rang the police did a suburb check and thankfully it worked out well.

Its not only finding area's to rent its buying white goods,cars,tax forms medicare,family payments etc not as easy as you think when getting lost in a city you have never been.Come together.

Good luck.

Guest Nathan & Mandie

Hi Amanda

Your reasons for going separately seem rational and practical. However, being a mother of two young boys I think the move to Australia itself is going to be quite stressful and traumatic without splitting the family up even if it is for a short while. Not only that you will have a very long flight to cope on your own with your daughter and you might wish you were going the minute your husband leaves. Sorry to sound negative. There are lots of pros and cons for both ways only you and your husband can decide what will work best for your family. Good Luck and I am sure all will be fine.

Mandie

Guest Missiemo

I agree with Mandie, we travelled over with three girls the youngest being two, the flight was not bad at all, it was a lot less stressful then i thought it would be, would not have done it on my own.

• 2 weeks later...

When I came it was with wife, 8yr old, 4 yr old and 2 yr old.

We took the 2yr old's car seat onto the plane and she slept most of the way in that.

When we got here, part of the thrill was hiring a car and touring suburbs armed with estate agents blurb and a street directory looking for a place that we liked.

We leased a place for a year before we took the plunge and bought a block of land and had a house built on it. That year was great... we found our feet, learned our way around, and paid rent...knowing that we were not stuck in that suburb if it all fell apart.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest FiremanMart

Amanda,

I understand and agree with your reasons for thinking this way and in fact, my Wife has even suggested that when the time comes, I also travel out in advance...my 'Kids' will be 18 & 15 then !!

But I think that the idea of getting on a Plane and making a journey to a whole new life is something that I would want to do with my Wife by my side ! Afterall, this is probably the biggest thing you will ever do and this is what being married is all about...sharing the experiences of life together etc. Mind you, I'll probably also want to have a few Beer's by my side as well, just to help me relax...something that my Wife probably won't do on a 24 hour journey.

Guest scott&lisa

Hi Amanda,

Myself and Hubby flew out together with two small ones - 2 years and 11 months. We had never been to Oz before and arrived with only two weeks acommodation booked in a serviced apartment.

We found our rental property the day after we landed (but we did prearrange a home search through Crown Relocations) and moved in a week later. Everything important was sorted very easily and quickly and most importantly both our girls were not stressed or bothered whilst we sorted everything out.

All I'm saying is it is quite easy to sort things out within the first week or so as long as you plan what you need to do before you get to Oz.

I would recomment that if you intend to rent a car to get you mobile, we used a company called Rent a Bomb. They are cheap and cheerful as the cars are not shiny and new but are road worthy and reliable.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope it all goes well.

Best of Luck :D

Lisa.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

My advice would be to travel together. We got here a month ago and traveled with a 5 and 3 year old. They were really good on the plane but if they hadn't been I don't know what I would have done, and to do it on my own would be worse. I think if you can, go together, if you can't be prepared for a really longgggg journey!

Jackie

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Mandymoo,

This might be too late a reply for you but I just wanted to tell you our story.

We got our visas in February '06 and put the house on the market expecting to sell fairly quickly. By May nothing had happened, although my husband's employers were getting impatient and made it quite clear that they wanted him here asap. We took the tough decision that he would come out ahead and we would follow once things were tied up in the UK.

He flew out on 15th June and me and our two children stayed behind in Blighty. In the end we couldn't sell the house so decided to rent it out. I flew out on 7th August with a 2.5 and 5.5 year old, I had built myself up to expect that the flight was going to be a nightmare, but in the end it really wasn't that bad. I bit the bullet and took a direct flight to Sydney, (with a 1.5 hour touch down in Singapore), we had an overnight stay in Sydney and then flew to Mackay the next day, where we were met at the airport by my husband in a hire car. The good thing was though that he had managed to find a house to rent, bought beds and all the essential things you need.

Basically I am saying that it really depends on where you are headed, but in Mackay at the moment there are approx 40 people chasing each rental, all the motels are fully booked with miners and accommodation is very thin on the ground. My husband spent 6 weeks in a motel room before finding and securing a decent rental and I would rather have travelled here on my own with the kids than arrived together and had to deal with the stress of having nowhere to go. We flew with Qantas and they were fantastic with the kids, and I wasn't the only person on my own with kids.

We've been here nearly 3 and 5 months respectively now and have settled in really well. Yes, I miss home and all my friends and family, but the quality of life here far outweighs what we had in the UK. I have never seen a place with so many beaches and lovely parks and almost everyone we have met has been incredibly friendly and welcoming. We came here on a 457 working visa which is valid for 4 years, and even if we just stay for that length of time it will have been a fantastic opportunity and long holiday, if we decide to stay I think the kids will have a better future ahead of them. Whatever, all of you who are having the doubts that we all do when jumping through the hoops and playing the waiting game entailed in getting the visa's, it is worth it, you just have to come here with an open mind.

Guess that's it really.

JJA

Archived