457 Visa to PR Help

paul566

Hey all we have been in Oz for 12 months now and love it the wife has a good job and i love the job im in and we love the outdoors lifestyle. currently we live in outback Queensland which is great.

ok so here is my Question(S) we are currently on a 457 Visa for my Job (Diesel Mechanic) just wondering which PR Visa we should go for and what Costs are involved and if anyone knows of a really good Migration Agent or if we should just sort it ourselves ??

would be great to hear from you or anyone else in Mount Isa

Woohoo well done..well start researching everything..you dont need an agent but if you can afford it and want an easier life then their are many good ones...you will need to pay for skills assesment, medicals, our medicals for two ppl were $1300 today in qld.. and you will need to pay for police checks too..and visa of course

Hi everyone!

Paul, if you have that many points you should really consider applying for a skilled visa. The paperwork is quite high but in the end you would have a permanent visa which is independent from any employer so it might be worth the effort (especially if you are in no rush at the moment since you already have your 457). Otherwise, you may look into PR options through an employer-sponsored visa but that may mean either waiting another year until you have 2 years on the 457 or also having to go for a skills assessment and prove 3 years work experience if you wanted to apply directly for PR through an employer-sponsored visa. My opinion is if you fulfill the requirements, certainly consider a skilled visa!

With your occupation, you don't need to have State sponsorship to apply (although it might help getting an invitation to apply quicker but it also means more paperwork and having to meet more requirements!) and your skills assessing authority is not VETASSESS, but TRA. Costs for TRA is $1000, just like Kate (although keep in mind every skills assessing authority charges a different fee so I'm not sure which one kate is referring to here!).

You are looking at several months worth of paperwork and usually 6 - 12 months from very beginning to end (depends, of course, how fast you can be in collecting documents as well!). In my experience, skilled visas tend to be on the expensive end of the scale but then again you are looking at us working for our clients for a very long time. Either way, it is completely up to you to decide to use an agent or not!

Good luck and let us know how you decide!

Cheers,

Claudia R

Archived