Timescales after visa has been granted

louisella

Hi – think I'm tying myself up in knots reading through all the visa info. I wonder if someone can help with a question re timescales

On either 190 or 489 (family sponsored) visas, from the point of being granted the visa (assuming we were of course!), what are the next steps in terms of timescales? I've read it's a year from date of medicals / police checks (whichever is earlier) however is that the date by which you actually have to physically move over or can you go over to validate your visa but make the actual move later? If it's the latter what are the timescales for making the actual move? I've also read something about 5 years to make the move but not sure what that relates to?

I'm trying to put a plan in place for our application but a lot will depend on above (obviously assuming the occupation stays on the SOL).

Many thanks

We were granted our 189, on the letter it states we have a year to validate our visa. This date was from our medicals on the 6/1/14 so we have to make entry to Oz by 6/1/2015. My understanding is which ever comes through first, medical or police check.

After you have made entry in the first year you then have a further 4 years to make the final move if you weren't ready in the first year but you must validate by the date specified. Good luck

You (and all other family members who hold the same visa) have 12 months from the date of your earliest medical or PCC to enter Australia for the first time but simply going through the immigration gates is enough - you can leave Australia immediately or after a short stay if you wish to do so.

With a 190, you then have until 5 years from the date of grant of the visa to make your actual move - after the 5 years, you can only enter Australia as PR if you have a Resident Return visa which may be quite difficult to get if you have never lived in Australia since your 190 was granted.

http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/155-157.aspx Resident Return visas

A 489 is a different matter as it is a provisional visa and is only valid for 4 years. If you want to be able to apply for an 887 permanent visa (for most people, the ultimate point of getting a 489 in the first place), you can only do so if you have lived in a 'specified regional area' on your 489 for at least 2 years and you must have worked full time in a 'specified regional area' for at least 1 year.

Thanks both, they're the kind of timescales I was hoping for.

If we had to go for the 489, do you know when you have to make the physical move after being granted the visa?

If, for example:

- Visa granted - 19/02/14

- Go to Australia within 12 months of the medical / police check date to validate

- Make the actual move in 2015 (so still have enough time on the visa to do 2 years in the specified regional area) - would that work? (as you say, the goal would be to go for 887)

or because it's only a 4 year visa, do you have to physically move over within the first 12 months?

Thanks both, they're the kind of timescales I was hoping for.

If we had to go for the 489, do you know when you have to make the physical move after being granted the visa?

If, for example:

- Visa granted - 19/02/14

- Go to Australia within 12 months of the medical / police check date to validate

- Make the actual move in 2015 (so still have enough time on the visa to do 2 years in the specified regional area) - would that work? (as you say, the goal would be to go for 887)

or because it's only a 4 year visa, do you have to physically move over within the first 12 months?

As long as your moving date gives you enough time to meet the 887 eligibility requirements, you would be OK - a move in 2015 should work for a visa that expires in February 2018. Don't cut it too fine though - the 12 months full time work (or 2 x half time jobs) is a firm requirement for an 887 and if you can only find casual work and/or if it takes a while to find full or half time work, it could cause problems.

Archived