Longer Term Rent - OK to pay 6 months up front by choice?

Steve Austin

Hi All,

We're going to be arriving in QLD end July/early Aug and its looking more likely that I won't have secured work prior to arriving in Australia. I'm cool with this and not surprised, but what I would like to do when we look for a rental property is get 6 months rent down up front and therefore one less thing to worry about in the interim without a job.

Is this usually acceptable to agents as I believe they're only allowed to ask for a maximum of 1 month (plus the bond?). I also wonder if it could be advantageous - especially if there is competition for a property. Has anybody else gone about their first rental in this way? Any reasons for NOT doing it?

Cheers!

Steve

Hi Steve,

We did that very thing, for different reasons (we have a dog), and it made the whole process that much easier. We did try to secure a rental without, but against local competition we always came out the losing applicant. Once we offered 6 months up front we were selected without much fuss... We were also able to effect changes to our lease :).

One thing, 6 months in advance actually ended up being 1 month's bound + 1st & last month this rent. So it was seen as 3 month's rent in advance. But either way it, it worked out :).

Good Luck!

Archived