Hi all,chasing the dream!!

Scottyf

Good afternoon folkes,

ive decided to chase my dream and move from

the UK to australia,Brisbane in fact. My partner and I are 22 and 27 and both have decided its what we both want to do. My partner have lived in oz for 6 years in brisbane and she still has aunties and uncles there now. Im hoping this could be used to our advantage. Im a ex soldier whos training to be a firefighter whilst she is now a qualified architect. Any advice or help would be greatfuly recieved and I now look forward to reading all the help and advice on here.

thank you

scott

Hi Scott and welcome to PIO.

You will get some really useful advice on here but just be ready for the barrage of "it's not a dream" posts too!

Filter what you want from the responses and accept that not everyone will be as excited as you are.

Best of luck and one of the members who is more up on the current processes will be along shortly.

The first step is to see if you qualify for skilled migration - I would think this is most likely via your partner's skills http://www.immi.gov.au/asri/occupations/a/architect.htm

For you both to migrate on her visa you would need qualify as a defacto relationship - the basic requirement is to have lived together for 12 months.

I don't think having aunts/uncles will help but I could be wrong.

Thank you Lady raincorn for your help! :-)

we live together in my house,but nothing as proof,ie utility bills etc! Hmm this could be tricky for me then as she would qualify through her architecture degree.

The little research ive done so far seems to suggest its more likely ide find employment in the police rather than the fire service. With my ex military service behind me that should help I hope..

Ide like to thank you all in advance for your help and advice.

Guest guest30085

If your partner used to live in Oz, then look at Return Resident visa first, you usually have to show strong links to Oz, and compelling reasons as to why her residency lapsed before. But, I've seen others get it with not overly strong reasons. It may be a long shot but it's cheaper than skilled migration, you would then have to apply for a partner visa, if the RRV was successful for your partner. Did she return with family when younger?

Thank you Lady raincorn for your help! :-)

we live together in my house,but nothing as proof,ie utility bills etc! Hmm this could be tricky for me then as she would qualify through her architecture degree.

The little research ive done so far seems to suggest its more likely ide find employment in the police rather than the fire service. With my ex military service behind me that should help I hope..

Ide like to thank you all in advance for your help and advice.

Does she have bank accounts in her own name, a driving licence, a car registered at your address? Anything? You'll be able to get lots of advice on here about proving a defacto reelationship - not an area of expertise for me!

Worst case is she gets a visa and you go over on a WHV whilst you get sufficient evidence to prove de-facto. It would make it hard for you to get 'permanent' work though.

I'd maybe think about using a migration agent if I was in your shoes.

You've got the itch and it needs to got scratched....good luck on your journey down under and you will find a lot of helpful advice on here there's a lot of other stuff too, lol. Just ask, no matter how stupid you might think your question may be, you will get a good honest answer.

Oh yea! welcome to PIO.

I have set myself a 5yr target! I know this sounds a long way away but I dont want to half do this,I want to fully commit 100% to this as do my partner. This gives me time to save some money and do proper research.

I know my partner was schooled there for a few years and she only moved back because her mum suffered from depression or they would of still been there now,however I wouldnt of met her then Would this give her/us a better chance as she was "on their books" before as to speak?

Ile be honest it seems impossible for me to get to Oz at the moment and heres for why.

No immediate sponsor

No job offer

No $39,0000000 in the bank lol

this is why were giving ourselves 5yrs.

Archived