What is the waiting period for a permanent 187 visa application these days?

lucy xxxx

Hi everybody,

looks like I am lodging my 187 visa application soon, wondering how long it takes on average to be assessed by Immigration?

currently I am on a 457 visa in Australia, but my employer and me are not lodging through the Transition Scheme (after 2 years of working for the employer), but through the Direct Entry stream (I am qualified for the position).

I have a lawyer who does all the work for me, have all my forms and papers together and my employer is also sponsoring one of my colleagues on the 187 who lodged his application 2 months ago.

Just wanted to check with people who have recently been granted a 187 how long they waited for it after lodgement.

Thank you!!!:biggrin:

When you switch to the 186 / 187 does that mean you are automatically able to go and work for someone else because you have done your two years. We don't know whether to go for it now especially if there is up to 6 months to wait, I have done 1 year but am eligible to apply through direct stream now. JB

When you switch to the 186 / 187 does that mean you are automatically able to go and work for someone else because you have done your two years. We don't know whether to go for it now especially if there is up to 6 months to wait, I have done 1 year but am eligible to apply through direct stream now. JB

The 186 and 187 are two quite different visa obligation wise. The 186 you can technically leave straight away and go work for someone else. The 187 you are tied to the job for two years from the date of visa grant. Time on other visas does not count. Your visa can be cancelled if you leave within that time.

Guest guest95379
The 186 and 187 are two quite different visa obligation wise. The 186 you can technically leave straight away and go work for someone else. The 187 you are tied to the job for two years from the date of visa grant. Time on other visas does not count. Your visa can be cancelled if you leave within that time.

HI threre

thanks in advance if you can answer mu query also.

I have got my RSMS approved back in december. due to some circumstances my employer's business is slowing down and he told me that he can't afford a lot of employees so he has to terminate the employement including mine.. he gave me letter of termination explaining all the situation why business has slow down and gave me two weeks notice. i was wondering do i need to notify the immigration department or i should move from here without telling immi. and if i do notify them then what could be the outcome as i do not want to get my visa cancelled.

Thank you

HI threre

thanks in advance if you can answer mu query also.

I have got my RSMS approved back in december. due to some circumstances my employer's business is slowing down and he told me that he can't afford a lot of employees so he has to terminate the employement including mine.. he gave me letter of termination explaining all the situation why business has slow down and gave me two weeks notice. i was wondering do i need to notify the immigration department or i should move from here without telling immi. and if i do notify them then what could be the outcome as i do not want to get my visa cancelled.

Thank you

Ive moved your question to a thread of its own

Archived