100 points for identification for accommodation

jyotikhtr

Dear All,

We are a couple having 190 VISA and are traveling to NSW (Sydney) in first week of March 2014. I have heard and read that one has to provide 100 point documents in order to secure a rented accommodation in Australia.

Please help me out with the documents which are required to attain 100 points. I have tried to Google it out but different sites have different points for same document(s).

For example

http://www.tenancycheck.com.au/tenancy-forms/rental-application-forms.dot -- Medicare Card 20 Points

http://bellerive.ljhooker.com.au/renting/rental-application-form -- Medicare Card 30 Points

We only have NAB Bank Statement and Debit Cards of Australia. We had opened banks accounts when we were in Syndey last year for a week on VISA validation trip.

Rest all documents (like Passport, Drivers License, Marriage Certificate, Bank Statements, Medical Insurance Cards, Credit/Debit Cards, Educational Certificates, etc) are NOT of Australia.

Once we will reach there I will apply for Driving License (as I have 100 points as per this link), NSW Photo Card, and Medicare Card.

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Guest The Pom Queen

The main things you need are

passport

medicare

driving license

Most agents will understand that you haven't got the full 100 points and are very flexible, however, you will need to show you have funds to pay and photo ID

Remember as well agents won't entertain you until you arrive.

The main things you need are

passport

medicare

driving license

Most agents will understand that you haven't got the full 100 points and are very flexible, however, you will need to show you have funds to pay and photo ID

Remember as well agents won't entertain you until you arrive.

Thanks for the super quick response. Will a non-Australian driving license work ?

I can show funds in my NAB bank account statement.

So there is no option to reserve an accommodation until we are personally there ? Not even if, I send (email / fax) them my documents ?

Regards.

Guest guest90395

We used our UK licences and got the first place we applied for so it didn't seem to be an issue. We gave our birth certificates too, do you have those?

Yup, in order I got my bank card (account opened from UK before we left). Then I used my passport and visa grant to gain my Medicare card. Once I had that I went and applied for my DL and used passport, bank card and showed my medicare card also but don't think they needed it as passport and bank card were enough points to meet the 100 required for DL. So I think you'll be fine with what you have and an Aus DL.

We used our UK licences and got the first place we applied for so it didn't seem to be an issue. We gave our birth certificates too, do you have those?

Hello Jahooliab,

Unfortunately, we do not have our birth certificates but have other proofs (like our educational mark sheets, Income Tax documents, Marriage Certificates, etc.) which bear our date of births. Did you got the unit when you were in UK ?

Regards.

Guest The Pom Queen
Thanks for the super quick response. Will a non-Australian driving license work ?

I can show funds in my NAB bank account statement.

So there is no option to reserve an accommodation until we are personally there ? Not even if, I send (email / fax) them my documents ?

Regards.

The best way to do it is to get a holiday let or they call the short term rentals. I'm not sure what area you are going to.

Even if you got an agent to rent to you on a long term 6-12 month tenancy you wouldn't want to take it until you had viewed it yourself. Agents are very good at making a terrible place look stunning and when you get there you wouldn't let your dog live there.

Yup, in order I got my bank card (account opened from UK before we left). Then I used my passport and visa grant to gain my Medicare card. Once I had that I went and applied for my DL and used passport, bank card and showed my medicare card also but don't think they needed it as passport and bank card were enough points to meet the 100 required for DL. So I think you'll be fine with what you have and an Aus DL.

Thanks snifter. But, I believe having an Aus DL would take some time. :(

Thanks snifter. But, I believe having an Aus DL would take some time. :(

It is quick for me. I went in and filled out the forms, supplied the points proof, paid the fee, had my picture taken and was issued with a temp DL on the spot. Valid for 14 days till the actual card arrived in the post.

Guest guest90395

No, we were here in Melbourne. I agree with the Pom Queen, you need to see the place as we saw probably 11 properties - all of which looked great online - before we applied for one. If you are signing a lease for a year you want to know you are going to like it.

No, we were here in Melbourne. I agree with the Pom Queen, you need to see the place as we saw probably 11 properties - all of which looked great online - before we applied for one. If you are signing a lease for a year you want to know you are going to like it.

I have few friends living there who can finalize the property on my behalf. Can this work ?

Regards.

Archived