Elderly Parents visiting from the UK

relenholl

We have bben on the beautiful sunshine coast for 7 months now and LOVING it!!

My Elderly(ish) parents (aged 73) are coming for their first visit in april but are really struggling to find affordable travel insurance. There are a few pre existing medical conditions but the only insurance they can find is over £1000 and will only let them travel for 31 days. Ideally they would like to come out for 6 weeks. Can anyone help with any info regarding holiday/travel/medical insurance? Also can they get a visitors medicare card?

Problem 2...Their existing house insurance will only let them be away for 31 days - help!! What would you guys do??

Thanks so much in advance

Have they tried saga? Might help. We get annual travel insurance, rather than short term ones. Surprised you can't get 90 days? Don't know about the house insurance sorry. Apart from the travel time if they are from UK there is I think reciprecol here in Oz, but obviously they need to be covered for travel.

Hi, thanks for your reply, yes they have tried Saga and they quoted them over £1500 for an annual policy!

They need to get insurance. Even if they use the reciprocal arrangement that will not pay to repatriate them and what if they are taken ill en route?

Well if they take a 1 year one could they come for longer? Or can each trip only last 30 days? We insure from OZ and go back to UK most years often for 3 months with no problem. Another thought perhaps contact Trailfinders the travel agents, they might have contacts as lots of retired people go away for extended holidays, even some cruises are for over 6 weeks.

Good luck

Totally agree travel insurance is a must, didn't quite write it properly about having reciprocal health here only meant it as an extra. I had a bad fall in Zambia, had to fly to Nairobi to be operated on, have never travelled without insurance, and the one time I had to use it was worth every penny.

Archived