Not giving up just yet!!!

Sharon taylor

here goes........ another question requiring your expert help :)

my husband had his skills assessed successfully with vetassess as a bricklayer (this is what he did his apprenticeship in may years ago) but his actual every day job is a stone mason/tiler the trade of stone mason is on the COL list, so my question is would he be able to use this certificate for a 489 family sponsored visa, would he have to be reassessed or could he just provide further evidence to support his claims? I hope this makes sense, any help or advice greatly appreciated:unsure::arghh:

When nominating an occupation you need to hold a positive skills assessment in the same ANZSCO code.

So no, he can not use the skills assessment of a Bricklayer then nominate Stonemason. There is another issue with having a skills assessment in one job and work experience in another - if your CO does not deem them closely related there will be no points for Work Experience.

Are you using a Registered Migration Agent.

Guest Ryan the wizard of oz
here goes........ another question requiring your expert help :)my husband had his skills assessed successfully with vetassess as a bricklayer (this is what he did his apprenticeship in may years ago) but his actual every day job is a stone mason/tiler the trade of stone mason is on the COL list, so my question is would he be able to use this certificate for a 489 family sponsored visa, would he have to be reassessed or could he just provide further evidence to support his claims? I hope this makes sense, any help or advice greatly appreciated:unsure::arghh:

Hey Sharon,If you are planning on going under the occupation of Stone Mason 331112 he would be assessed under TRA which is a different skills assessment body. So he would need to be re-assessed. Have you checked the eligible locations for sponsorship on the 489? The locations are attached in the link below.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/designated-areas.htmI hope you have a successful application Kind regards

thanks for the reply, no were not using an agent, hence the 20 questions!!!! so do we have to re-apply to vetasses to be assessed again, as my husbands not a site bricky finding the right assessment was a toughy tbh, and as he had done his apprenticeship as you did in those days in bricklaying we used those skills for vetassess but he then worked mainly with stone so as this is on the skills list i thought it was worth a try.... were not getting any younger!! lol

i`ve searched everywhere but cant find where I can get skills assessed for a stone mason?, there's nothing on the TRA website that I can see!!! all I can find is oz assessment websites, does anyone know or have a link, probably right in front of me, but I cant see the wood for the trees!!!

i`ve searched everywhere but cant find where I can get skills assessed for a stone mason?, there's nothing on the TRA website that I can see!!! all I can find is oz assessment websites, does anyone know or have a link, probably right in front of me, but I cant see the wood for the trees!!!

Stonemason is not one of the occupations eligible for Offshore Skills Assessment so it would be assessed by TRA under their normal TRA Migration Skills Assessment procedures.

http://www.innovation.gov.au/Skills/SkillsAssessment/TradesRecognitionAustralia/MigrationSkillsAssessment/Pages/default.aspx TRA Migration Skills Assessment

No practical testing is required but there is no flexibility regarding qualifications and work experience i.e. according to the guidelines you must:

• have a qualification comparable to the Australian qualification for your nominated occupation

OR

• have completed an apprenticeship comparable to the Australian apprenticeship for your nominated occupation

EDIT: It doesn't say so in the guidelines, but I'm pretty sure there should be an AND in here between the qualifications and work experience requirements i.e. I'm sure I've read that experience (no matter how long) removes the necessity for qualifications. TRA used to have a Pathway D that allowed experience to substitute but it was removed several years ago.

• have completed three years of full-time (or equivalent part-time) paid employment in your nominated occupation at the required skill level

• have completed at least 12 months of full-time (or equivalent part-time) paid employment in your nominated occupation, or in a closely related occupation where you are required to maintain your skill level

for the nominated occupation, in the two years immediately before applying

Thank you ozmaniac, I received this today from TRA:

You will need to get Recognition of Prior learning at a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) and gain an AQF before submitting an application for a TRA Migration skills assessment. You will also along with the AQF will be required to have in total 6 years of work experience, including a minimum of three years full-time (or equivalent) paid employment under the direct supervision of a tradesperson/employer (an informal training period) before an additional three years full-time (or equivalent) paid employment has been completed at the required skill level for the occupation. Please refer to section 2.8.4 (page 25).

Archived