David from Scotland!

David Elliott

Hello!

New member, just signed up tonight so thought I would take this opportunity to introduce myself. My name is David, pretty obvious given my username and I am a 19 year old student currently studying computer systems and networks at BEng level with plans to progress on to honours next year, so I am quite a bit away from even applying for my visa.

I have been thinking of moving to Australia for a few years now and there is never a day that goes by without Australia coming into mind so is definitely not a 'spur of the moment' decision. The stories I have heard from people are just amazing which gets me very hiked up, I am mainly looking forward to the better climate and better lifestyle compared to what we get here in the UK and I am young so I have nothing to loose and only experience to gain.

My folks decided to move to Majorca many years ago, but because finding work and staying in work was very difficult we only stayed for a one and a half years so I know what it is like to move to another country, except in a way Australia will be a little easier as we both speak the same language.

After graduation I am looking to migrate pretty much straight away, I am not overly fussed about my residence in Australia as after doing some reading I have realised that the IT market is slightly saturated and that Queensland now outsources IT so really my residence in Australia will be solely based on opportunities available, which is slightly disappointing as I have family in Brisbane and would much prefer to be relatively close to them.

David :)

Hi David and welcome to the forum.

Have you been on the Immigration website to see what visa you may qualify for?

Lots of luck with your plans my family have been in Brisbane over 7 years and we have no regrets yet,lol

Cal x

Hi Cal, thanks for welcoming me.

I was recommended that the 12 month working visa would probably be best for me, I was recommended this by a fellow student who moved to Australia a good few years ago. However, I have not had a proper look at which visa are on offer.

Hi David,

You would certainly qualify for a Working Holiday Visa (WHV) and they are initially granted for 12 months although if you undertake certain types of work in rural areas (mostly agricultural) then you can apply for a 2nd 12 months.

After that though I think your options will be limited until you have clocked up some experience in your occupation. In order to qualify for permanent migration you will need to pass a skills assessment by the ACS, all the details of the criteria are here https://www.acs.org.au/migration-skills-assessment

Depending on the exact content of your degree, you will need at least 2 years post qualifying experience in an occupation on the SOL

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/sol.pdf

BE WARNED THIS LIST IS REGULARLY UPDATED!

IT is being outsourced everywhere, both in the UK and Australia and in all states - outsourcing is fine, my first break in IT came working for an outsourcer. Perhaps you meant 'offshore' i.e. to countries where salaries are lower such as the Vietnam, Philippines etc.?

There was still plenty of opportunities in Perth when I was there, a lot of people work in the state government sector and a mixture of 'buy local' policies and data protection issues meant sending work offshore didn't really happen. I know a couple of members here have struggled to find IT work in Brisbane but there is plenty in Sydney & Melbourne too.

My advice FWIW is when you graduate have a two year working holiday - travel in Australia, find out where you would like to settle (or where the opportunities to settle are), you might strike it lucky and get some relevant work experience, the chances are you won't though so then head back to the UK for a couple of years, knuckle down, get some solid experience and then apply for permanent residency, if it's still what you want at that point.

A possible middle way is a 457 visa, which is a temporary working visa for up to 4 years - but I see little chance of a company sponsoring a new graduate tbh. It would be difficult for them to prove they could not find someone equivalent locally.

Hi David,

You would certainly qualify for a Working Holiday Visa (WHV) and they are initially granted for 12 months although if you undertake certain types of work in rural areas (mostly agricultural) then you can apply for a 2nd 12 months.

After that though I think your options will be limited until you have clocked up some experience in your occupation. In order to qualify for permanent migration you will need to pass a skills assessment by the ACS, all the details of the criteria are here https://www.acs.org.au/migration-skills-assessment

Depending on the exact content of your degree, you will need at least 2 years post qualifying experience in an occupation on the SOL

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/sol.pdf

BE WARNED THIS LIST IS REGULARLY UPDATED!

IT is being outsourced everywhere, both in the UK and Australia and in all states - outsourcing is fine, my first break in IT came working for an outsourcer. Perhaps you meant 'offshore' i.e. to countries where salaries are lower such as the Vietnam, Philippines etc.?

There was still plenty of opportunities in Perth when I was there, a lot of people work in the state government sector and a mixture of 'buy local' policies and data protection issues meant sending work offshore didn't really happen. I know a couple of members here have struggled to find IT work in Brisbane but there is plenty in Sydney & Melbourne too.

My advice FWIW is when you graduate have a two year working holiday - travel in Australia, find out where you would like to settle (or where the opportunities to settle are), you might strike it lucky and get some relevant work experience, the chances are you won't though so then head back to the UK for a couple of years, knuckle down, get some solid experience and then apply for permanent residency, if it's still what you want at that point.

A possible middle way is a 457 visa, which is a temporary working visa for up to 4 years - but I see little chance of a company sponsoring a new graduate tbh. It would be difficult for them to prove they could not find someone equivalent locally.

Hi and thank you also for welcoming me.

'Depending on the exact content of your degree, you will need at least 2 years post qualifying experience in an occupation on the SOL', what do I need two years post qualifying experience in an occupation on the SOL for? Is this for citizenship?

Yes, that's what I mean.. I read this article: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/it-pro/government-it/queensland-government-to-outsource-it-services-20130607-2nuac.html

I don't really want to travel to Australia for two years and then have to come back for experience to then go back out.. So hoping that once I'm there I will only be returning back to the UK for holidays to visit family.

Whilst being a new graduate, I am young.. I don't know if that would outweigh the experience con.

Archived