Hardworking bricklayer seeking work in QLD, goldcoast/Brisbane area

Stevec88

Hi guys I'm new here and would really appreciate a little help!

A little bit of background, it has been a dream of my partner and I to live in Australia for years now and although we have started the visa process independently my partner has been fortunate enough to secure a sponsored job in her profession (physiotherapy) in the Brisbane area recently which we are over the moon about!

I will be coming across on her visa and firstly wondered what I would need to do to be able to work as a bricklayer over there? I have an nvq 2 in bricklaying so would I need to convert this in some way? I have tried google but all I have found is a lot of conflicting information! Some people say you need blue/white card etc, is this the same if you are employed or on a self employed basis?

Im extremely hard working, dedicated and very flexible and would appreciate any information that would help me to find work for when we arrive.

Bricklaying is my primary trade but I am also very good at plastering, although I have no formal qualifications for this, any help or advice would be much appreciated!

thanks again,

Steve

My OH did his white card online, about 2 hrs and $60. It's simple, I could have easily managed it no being in a trade. He then put adverts on Gumtree and had tons of calls, hasn't struggled at all. Mostly the enquiries are for private jobs through the home owner or a general builder looking for a brickie on their team for short term projects. This is in Sydney, he has a few calls when advertising In Adelaide too and has been told Brisbane should be as easy as Sydney.

He actually hasn't needed his white card as such for these as it's more about health and safety on site but having mentioned it in his as got more calls. Well worth it. It was saying he was 12 years experienced that got the responses though.

He couldn't get the trowel he uses our here and the level was twice as much but everything else was easy to get .

Thanks for the reply, great name too!

So has your oh needed anything else other than the white card to be able to work? Is just the white card sufficient for site? I hope you don't mind me asking but what kind of money can a bricklayer expect to earn over there? I'm guessing your oh work is on a self employed basis? Sorry for all the questions it's just good to get some facts rather than google hearsay!

Thanks again

steve

No worries, I was asking the same thing On Here a few months ago lol.

Nothing else needed except an abn number (Australian business number I think) to be self employed which you apply Free online for.

He is getting $35/hr at the moment as that's what he quoted as wasn't really sure but the guy (homeowner but builder /developer by trade) he's working for now has told him to charge $50 an hour going forward. Some pay by the brick, $1-2 but that's only worthwhile if it's straight forward, have a good Laborour etc or you're not going to get so much. OH was saying the other day that if he was per brick now with the labour he has who is just a young lad on WHVisa he'd be going crazy as he would t be quick enough and that'd affect how many bricks he could get down.

I think You choose to pay tax either quarterly or annually so best best bet is to save 30% then get the tax calculation, take it out of that and you'll always be safe (should be 20%) and probably have a lump left over. I'm not sure 100% on the tax thing though as I don't know if you have Medicare, super charges etc

He was mater builders at home and did an apprenticeship at 18 and been labouring since 16, he is also very keen on doing the fiddly, decorative stuff and laying in different styles so he's a bit of a craftsman and perfectionist at times rather than just slapping down bricks. The stuff he's doing at the min is on a multi million $ place and is quite decorative in places so I don't know if the $50 an hour would be the same if it the finish were less important/it wasn't face work etc and he hadn't been able to show this. Seems you would get $35 comfortably for straightforward though.

Having said that, the general quality of brickwork out here is pretty substandard so if get the opportunity to show your quality and skills you can set yourself apart.

Good luck! He's loving it

Archived