Nurse still confused about points!

Bouncy

Hi, hope someone can clear this up once and for all for me! So, my confusion lies in the skilled occupation employment. So I've been qualified and employed for 10 years as a registered paeds nurse, so was going to claim 15 points as I've been employed in this occupation for the required "at least 8 years and up to 10 years". Was full time til 2010 then dropped to 23 hours per week as I had my children. Does this in any way effect the amount of points I can claim for this section?

Also I am a diploma qualified nurse but has since gained my degree in child health recently through work. Can I claim 15 points for this degree or just 10 as the degree wasn't my original nursing qualification?

Sooooo confused by this and don't want to over claim! Was going to under claim for the qualifications as I would still have 60 points but need to clarify the years of employment as if I have to drop to 10 points I may need to get state sponsorship with only 55 points!

Heeeeeelp!

Thanks in advance for any kind advice!

Not entirely sure but I think the years claimed has to be full time, I had to have my hours noted on statements from HR. From other posts I understand for example that if your 18.75 hours a week you would have to have twice as much service as only work half time so to speak. I may be wrong so others please free to contradict!

the degree points should be fine, mine was done post grad, I was old type nursing so didn't even have a diploma. I'm sure if it's related to the ANSCO code your applying under then that will be fine.

Hi nic1171, thanks for that reply, after looking closely at my years of employment, I actually went part time after maternity leave in 2011 which means I was employed full time for 7 years, then the next 3 years at 23 hours, so if that's halved to make it up to full time that would be 1.5 years which still gives me 8 years? Doesn't it? My head is spinning! Good news about the degree though, my anzsco code is for paediatric nurse so a degree in child health I certainly related!

Thanks again nic1171 I notice you have come to my rescue a lot during my panic and confusion! It's much appreciated! X

Nooooo! Kellyv thanks for the heads up, how did you find out about that? I had a year off for each of my 2 children but was still employed during those periods, do I have to knock those 2 years off my years of experience too?

I am applying for a 189 visa and as a nurse myself did diploma then degree part time after qualifying. I'm using an agent so they are guiding us through it. They told me no extra points for degree :-( but part time work is fine ( can't exactly remember what they said but as long as over 16 hrs I think is ok). I have been qualified 12 yrs and have had 2 periods of mat leave but only had 6mths then 8mths the second time. Out of all that time I have only worked about 3 of those years @ 37.5 hrs. The rest has varied between 21 & 32 hrs per week and the agent says thats fine. I think you'll be ok. You have to do the academic Ielts and get minimum all 7's too...or 8's if you need to claim 20 points.

Thanks kellyv, I'm applying for the 189 too (if I've got enough points that is!). I've done the academic IELTS got 7s and above, misse dour on 8's by 0.5 on the reading but hey ho. If I can still claim for my experience I'll be able to claim 60 without my degree. It's so nerve racking trying to do everything right! I'm in the process of gathering paperwork together to sent off for ANMAC skills assessment, that's a minefield in itself! Starting to wonder if going it alone without an agent is a wise move : /

Really appreciate the help, thank you x

Sorry clock, don't know about that!

Kellyv I spoke to a registered migration agent today with these queries about the nursing diploma and post grad degree she said if you have registration with the NMC in the UK this is considered to be equivalent to holding a degree for the purpose of points on the points test, so in this case a full 15 points is awarded! She also confirmed that mat leave cannot be counted towards work experience, so that clears that one up!

Kellyv are you claiming 15 points for your diploma?

Hi kellyv, yes 65 points! I thought I only had 10 points for qualifications with my degree being post grad which left me with 60 or so I thought, then when I found out about mat leave not counting it went down to 55! Panic set in! I'm pleased I contacted the visa agent, she cleared it up and I now know I definitely have 65! I'm now reconsidering going without an agent! Just think £2.500 could be spent in so many other ways!!

Just wanted to give you the heads up in case you weren't claiming 15 points for your diploma!

Phew....... I'll relax a bit now!

Thanks for replying, really appreciate it! X

Archived