Partner points for 189 visa - language requirement

joshbay84

I see that 5 points can be claimed for partner -

"Partner Skills – Points

You can claim 'partner skills' points if your partner is also able to satisfy the basic requirements of age, English language ability, has nominated an occupation on the same Skilled Occupation List (SOL) as the primary applicant for which they have obtained a suitable skills assessment from the relevant assessing authority and they meet the Australian study requirement or have recent work experience in a skilled occupation which is on the SOL as the primary applicant. "

My wife has scores of 7,7,7.5 & 6.5 in IELTS and her education & work experience is in Biotechnology which is different from my specialization (software engineer). Does this qualify for partner points. Any pointers to a webpage where this detail is explained will also be helpful

Thank you

The 5 points are for skills, not for language abilities. She needs to obtain a skill assessment from the relevant assessing body for her occupation. It may also require 7 or more on each band fof IELTS. When you contact the assessing body, they will let you know or you can read this information on line.

Guest Ryan the wizard of oz
I see that 5 points can be claimed for partner -

"Partner Skills – Points

You can claim 'partner skills' points if your partner is also able to satisfy the basic requirements of age, English language ability, has nominated an occupation on the same Skilled Occupation List (SOL) as the primary applicant for which they have obtained a suitable skills assessment from the relevant assessing authority and they meet the Australian study requirement or have recent work experience in a skilled occupation which is on the SOL as the primary applicant. "

My wife has scores of 7,7,7.5 & 6.5 in IELTS and her education & work experience is in Biotechnology which is different from my specialization (software engineer). Does this qualify for partner points. Any pointers to a webpage where this detail is explained will also be helpful

Thank you

Hey there,

I hope you're well and benefiting from the site. Firstly do you require the 5 points to qualify? Secondly. Your wife needs to have an occupation that is on the skills list for Australia, does she perhaps fall under life science technician? http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Product+Lookup/1220.0~First+Edition,+Revision+1~Chapter~UNIT+GROUP+3114+Science+Technicians

To qualify to get you the extra 5 points, she needs to have the relevant work experience required, the correct level of qualification and english ability. Once you come back with confirmation of her occupation we can look into this further.

Kind regards

Hey there,

I hope you're well and benefiting from the site. Firstly do you require the 5 points to qualify? Secondly. Your wife needs to have an occupation that is on the skills list for Australia, does she perhaps fall under life science technician? http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Product+Lookup/1220.0~First+Edition,+Revision+1~Chapter~UNIT+GROUP+3114+Science+Technicians

To qualify to get you the extra 5 points, she needs to have the relevant work experience required, the correct level of qualification and english ability. Once you come back with confirmation of her occupation we can look into this further.

Kind regards

Thank you Ryan, Yes - this forum has been very helpful - got me up to speed within no time, Appreciate for all the services!

I believe, I do not require the additional 5 points, per my assessment - I get 60 without IELTS which makes me think am good. However, am striving for maximum points. Yes - Life Science Technician fits the bill perfectly for her, she has approximately 3 years experience on the same, has Masters in Biotechnology and has her IELTS done with scores of 7,7.5,7,6.5

Guest Ryan the wizard of oz
Thank you Ryan, Yes - this forum has been very helpful - got me up to speed within no time, Appreciate for all the services!

I believe, I do not require the additional 5 points, per my assessment - I get 60 without IELTS which makes me think am good. However, am striving for maximum points. Yes - Life Science Technician fits the bill perfectly for her, she has approximately 3 years experience on the same, has Masters in Biotechnology and has her IELTS done with scores of 7,7.5,7,6.5

Sir the more points you get won't get your application processed any quicker. As long as you have the required amount you will be treated like every other, regardless of 60pts, 65, 70 etc. I understand the ethos behind your decision to try and rake up as many points as possible but my advice would be to save your $670 that you would have to pay for your wifes skills assessment and a possible re-sit on IELTS and go ahead with what looks like at least a 70pt case possibly 80 if you get an 8 in your ielts. (I'm assuming those points due to the fact that you mentioned you have 60pts without IELTS.)

Kind regards

Archived