Do I need an attorney to apply for 189

joshbay84

I am planning to apply for 189 - I do have most of the documents intact. Going through the immigration website, looks like the entire process is online and I do not have to send any hard copies. If anyone has experience with 189 filing - please do pitch in , is it cumbersome to do it all ourselves and thereby having a need for attorney or am I better off doing it myself (I did not have a pleasant experience last time I used an attorney...)

Joshua

We are at the beginning of our application for the 189 and chose to use an agent. Agent fees alone are approx £1900+VAT (eek). Our application isn't typically straight forward though so for us, it's great to have someone on call for advice and the experience to get over a couple of obstacles. But with the Skillsselect website and the 'experts' on PIO, along with a check list to ensure you don't miss anything, you can absolutely do it yourself, but it's personal choice. From our experience so far, the worst bit has just been getting everything together for my husbands skills assessment. If we had a bit more time on our hands to look into everything and a slightly more straight forward case, we would have dealt with the application ourselves and saved some money. It's not rocket science, it really is just having attention to detail and ensuring you don't miss anything. We spoke with GoMatilda & Ian Harrop, both were great and I'm sure there are other fab MARA registered agents if you decide to go down that route. Good luck ;-)

I'm not sure how it works in USA, it does seem to be attorney's that offer the migration service (http://www.eurekamigration.com - if you do a google search I'm sure you'll find others). If it helps, I'm pretty sure you can use a migration agent based anywhere so you could use an Australian or UK based company and here in the UK at least, they don't seem to have any legal background.

Archived