Medicals & Back Problems

bigmac

I would be grateful if anyone could offer any advice on possible reasons to fail the medical requirement.

I have had 2 operations on my spine due to disc problems a long time ago ('97 & '04). Since then I've been fine apart from 2 episodes where I was off my work for 3 months each time due to back problems & the last episode was very recent.

Has anyone heard of people failing their medical due to back problems as this is worrying me.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Hi bigmac.

I had surgery on my spine 2011. Was off work for 10 months in total. Had a disc shaved and a tumour removed. I was worried about my medical. I've been fine since the surgery but am still on gabapentin of a night. My medical was in nov 2013 and I was passed with no problems. They didn't request any further info. They don't ask you how many times you have been off sick, they ask you about major ops and regular medication if you know what I'm saying. Just answer the questions as they ask.

Debs

Hi Debs

Thank you so much for you're reply, it's really put my mind at rest. We've only submitted our EOI at the moment & wanted to check if anyone else had had similar issues.

Hope you're keeping well yourself & good luck with the move to WA when you make it.

• 1 month later...

hi bigmac have you done your medicals yet? Just wondering what the outcome was? My Dh has a bad back (2 slipped discs and one damaged) and although it is getting better he still takes masses of drugs for it. He also takes anti depressants (due to bereavement related depression) so i am a little concerned they will decide he can't pass. As it is approaching our meds (next week) i am beginning to worry (i am usually reassuring my husband that it'll be ok but the nearer it gets the more the worry seeps in!).

Its getting a bit scary at this stage - after paying all that money to apply for everything, and it is starting to feel a bit real - that it could happen, more to loose now! aaaahhhhh!!!

Hi Kooky,

Sorry but we've not had them yet, not booked until April. I hope your DH gets through his ok. From reading other threads things only appear to be a problem if you are going to cost Australia a lot of money in the future.

Let us know how you get on & Ill keep everything crossed for you & us x

• 3 weeks later...

Oops sorry for the late reply - my notification went to trash mail so didn't think anyone had replied, anyway... I have my visa! Wow! Was really worried for my husbands back - 3 slipped disks and time off work, and plenty of medication but he passed it fine! So anyone reading in a similar position don't worry! Yipeeee we are off to oz!

Good ode luck with yours big mac!

Oops sorry for the late reply - my notification went to trash mail so didn't think anyone had replied, anyway... I have my visa! Wow! Was really worried for my husbands back - 3 slipped disks and time off work, and plenty of medication but he passed it fine! So anyone reading in a similar position don't worry! Yipeeee we are off to oz!

Good ode luck with yours big mac!

Thats fantastic news Kooky, I'm delighted for you. Good luck for your future life in Oz. :wink:

Archived