Any expectant mums inner/North Brisbane interested in meeting other mums-to-be?

Nats

Hi

Husband and I have been in Brisbane for just over 2.5years and are expecting our first child. I would love to meet other new 'mums-to-be' to share in the journey and offer each other support leading up to and beyond the birth of our little bundle. If you are in the same situation I would love to hear from you.

Nats

Hi Nats!!

Congrats on the baby!! exciting times ahead!! im still in perth but due to come to Brisbane in april, hoping to be around toowong/Paddington somewhere I think!! im due in july and would luv to have a fellow bump buddy for support lol!! I think u replied to my post a while back about moving from perth to Brisbane, were both from Scotland? Anyway would be good to meet up when I finally get there :biggrin:

Hey Scotsmum, Congratulations!! I'm due in June so it would be great to be bump buddies...can you get here sooner than April??lol

jeez, your doing it all backtofront lol you thought about where your going to have the baby? Do you have insurance?? I'm sure it will all work out fine, my friend moved from Perth to Sydney just a few months (if that) prior to arrival of her little one...it's challenging but I gather you (like her) wouldn't be doing it if you weren't up to the challenge!! I'm originally from Airdrie, a fellow Scot...although I'm pretty acquainted with Oz now, just about to lodge application for citizenship!!

keep in touch x

hi nats!

small world, im from Cumbernauld, although left there over 10 years ago!! slightly less sunny than perth haha!! citizenship will be great, were only on 457 visas but gonna sort our pr when we come to Brisbane!! Yeah its a bit of a brave move while preggers, we were supposed to come in 2 weeks time but postponed it till april..works out better for us with work and stuff but it will be a bit of a panic finding and moving into a house 6/7 months pregnant!! my mum and dad live in Brisbane so at least I have somewhere to stay at first and someone to do my washing and cooking for a while haha!!!

no idea about hospitals and stuff yet, we do have our insurance so ill need to start looking in to it! are you all sorted with what one ur using? iv found the docs here excellent so far, got my next scan next week so that's exciting!! ill try and pm you my email address, might be an easier way to keep in touch!

take care!!

That's really good that you have parents here, they'll be very useful to you around the birth. We're a bit panicked being that we're alone out here but we'll manage, we have no other option lol.

Im going public - in the hospital where I work. Hoping for the 'au natural' experience, midwife led...we'll see how that goes hahaha

i've heard wonderful stuff from all my friends re: maternity services here compared with the UK so I think you'll be in good hands wherever you choose to go. Given that you have private cover you have more options, but I'd recommend making enquiries sooner rather than later. If your out west at Indooropilly you might want to look at the Wesley or Mater mothers. The Mater is very popular with birthing mums so you'll want to get a referral way before the move. I've got my 20week scan next week...so excited!! :)

That's really good that you have parents here, they'll be very useful to you around the birth. We're a bit panicked being that we're alone out here but we'll manage, we have no other option lol.

Im going public - in the hospital where I work. Hoping for the 'au natural' experience, midwife led...we'll see how that goes hahaha

i've heard wonderful stuff from all my friends re: maternity services here compared with the UK so I think you'll be in good hands wherever you choose to go. Given that you have private cover you have more options, but I'd recommend making enquiries sooner rather than later. If your out west at Indooropilly you might want to look at the Wesley or Mater mothers. The Mater is very popular with birthing mums so you'll want to get a referral way before the move. I've got my 20week scan next week...so excited!! :)

Just to add that private hospital insurance only covers (possible only a % of) the birth itself...gyno's charge a pregnancy mgt fee for the services throughout the pregnancy which are not covered by private insurance. ie very roughly between $2000 -> $6000 ? Plus, on top, you still pay for private appointments, with some claimable back via public medicare. On the other hand some in the public system report they only paid a few hundred dollars all up.

Yikes, up to $6000!!! Don't know why that surprises me actually. I have private insurance but not eligible to use obstetrics as yet (added it less than 12months ago) tbh, even if I could... I still wouldn't have used it. Having worked in both private & public sector here in Oz, there is very few services I would prefer to use private over public. I'm very happy with my hospital & team, wouldn't want to birth anywhere else but it's a very personal choice... every woman wants/ expects different things from their birthing experience & with public maternity care - you have to fall under a catchment zone. Dunno what that may be for west Brisbane...Mater probably?? I haven't paid a cent for any of my maternity appointments, bloods or scans. The only thing that I have had to pay for is GP apts, referrals & requests etc. but as of next week I'm under the complete care of the midwives & I won't need to see gp anymore! Yay...she irritates me lol

• 4 months later...

So not much came of this thread...almost done cooking this bub & about to embark on the next chapter. So I guess I'm now looking for any new mums who would be interested in a mummy's group? Obviously I'm keen to meet others going through the same experience as myself ie, non experts new to parenthood but happy to meet other mums even if the kids are a little older.

Nats

Archived