Nursing redundancies in Queensland!

pinknurse83

Hey all,

I am currently going through the skilled visa process, I am a registered nurse working in community, and my husband is in construction. We looked at going to Perth and surrounding areas for a while then at down under live expo found that the cost of living is really high in Perth now, however, looks as if Nurses are paid the highest there now? So we investigated and have set our sights on Queensland. We want to be near the city but not quite in the centre, but we will go wherever the work is. However a member on here has recently mentioned that there have been redundancies for nurses in Queensland and QLD Health arn't recruiting much now. However, community nursing is on the shortage list. We Like the look of sunshine coast but like I mentioned before we will live near the work. We do like the sound of Melbourne but that would be a needs must place if we were struggling to find work.

Does anyone know much about this situation in Queensland or have any advice on the best areas that work as a nurse and construction would be in. I think there is loads of opportunity in the West (Perth), and maybe I was being naive but thought nursing was sought after all over Oz?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

Toni:unsure:

From posts I have read over the past year to 18 months it is becoming more difficult to find work in QLD as a nurse as they are making cutbacks, there are far less jobs being advertised from when I first started looking however, people are emigrating over there and finding jobs. There are also private hospitals however, be aware you may be up against more competition. Like you QLD would be our ideal situation, however if that doesn't change in the next 18 months we will have Perth and NSW 2nd on the list. I will apply for jobs in all 3 states and I believe in fate. Yes, the cost of living is higher in Perth but there are cheaper suburbs away from the coast and further north/south of the cbd. Having 3 children, the CBD is somewhere we would go to rarely we would just relocate to where it is affordable. Good luck with your journey, no harm in applying for jobs and seeing what happens. Swings and roundabouts I bet!

im sure someone nursey will come along soon , a couple of nurses on the forum went to queensland area in 2013 i believe and would be interesting to see how people are getting along now with jobs etc. btw , is there much in pay difference amoungst nurses across the different states then?

i look at the nurses pay in adelaide and nsw , and with a family of 4 to support , on one income ( hoping i find a job ) until hubby finds one , i wonder how the hell im going to make my dream come true.

im not looking to earn loadsa bucks , dont mind the same standard of living i have here , we just want to be in oz ..... without having to eat rice and beans every night due to financial woes!

I didn't say there were no jobs......I said it was difficult and it is. I advised that there would be more options in Brisbane and there would be. Moving to the sunshine coast would restrict you because there is a relatively small population and few hospitals.

I work with student and graduate nurses and have also worked as a nurse manager so have some idea about what is going on.

We have thousands of nurses qualifying each year and no work for them.....I suggested you do not go anywhere without finding a job first. Do not paint yourself into a corner.

If you prefer then don't believe me and everything will be OK won't it?

......and the most opportunities would probably be in Mental Health.

I just read the thread where Flathead advised you and I agree 100% with what she/he has said. Sounds exactly the same as several members have stated for a while now. I am (or soon will be a MH nurse) and I decided I will not move anywhere without a job (or a strong chance of a job). I like you, was attracted to the Sunshine coast and the Gold coast however, there doesn't seem to be many opportunities this way. We thought if we had to move towards Brisbane then we would and plan to move out towards the coasts a few years later.

I just read the thread where Flathead advised you and I agree 100% with what she/he has said. Sounds exactly the same as several members have stated for a while now. I am (or soon will be a MH nurse) and I decided I will not move anywhere without a job (or a strong chance of a job). I like you, was attracted to the Sunshine coast and the Gold coast however, there doesn't seem to be many opportunities this way. We thought if we had to move towards Brisbane then we would and plan to move out towards the coasts a few years later.

I work in MH and we do have trouble getting good staff.....most staff on MH units have no MH qualifications. It is likely to be the area where most jobs are available (in Queensland)......however the job will not be what you are used to:confused:

BTW I worked in Nottingham for many years

I didn't say there were no jobs......I said it was difficult and it is. I advised that there would be more options in Brisbane and there would be. Moving to the sunshine coast would restrict you because there is a relatively small population and few hospitals.

I work with student and graduate nurses and have also worked as a nurse manager so have some idea about what is going on.

We have thousands of nurses qualifying each year and no work for them.....I suggested you do not go anywhere without finding a job first. Do not paint yourself into a corner.

If you prefer then don't believe me and everything will be OK won't it?

......and the most opportunities would probably be in Mental Health.

Thanks both for your advice its goid to get it from someone that is over there in the profession. I have definitely taken on board what flathead said just wondered if anyone suggested other states, or had anymore info. But yes your right we will definitely get jobs before the move wether its queensland or NSW or western oz. I think the hardest part is choosing where will be best to actually live but I suppose making the move and getting the job is the main aim then explore once there??

Yes hopefully a job will pop up in queensland but in the mean time I will apply to all the states I like the sound of!!! ;-) and there is abit of a difference in pay from what iv seen. I read an article last night about perths nurses being the best pay now as they just won a battle for pay rise?!

Hi I'm living on the Gold Coast, got a job as a practice nurse, not as high flying as I was in Uk but really enjoy it. My hourly rate as a PN is about or just less than I got as a band 7 in Uk, only part time so I top up with the odd agency shift plus centre link are very nice! Jobs being advertised by QLD are few but there are lots of private hospitals that advertise and failing that there is always aged care homes looking to recruit, not my cup,of tea but I did agency work initially, after about 4 weeks I got PN job. I have heard that Perth pay more but i guess it's down to where you want to be too.

I think South Aus also won a 3 year pay rise, I thought they were higher paid but I could be wrong. I try not too focus on it too much as its likely to change and all swings and roundabouts. Perth has a higher cost of living I suppose so they may have a higher pay. NSW was the biggest shock for me, I thought the salary in Sydney CBD would be higher, like the London weightings over here but there is no such thing. I certainly couldn't afford to relocate to Sydney.

Good Luck anyway!

Depending on the lifestyle you are willing to have there are more affordable suburbs in the Perth Metro area. You won't have a sea view or be less than half an hour from the city but it will be clean and safe (if IMHO somewhat dull). SOR there are affordable suburbs where the beach is within walking distance - we were 1km away in Hamilton Hill and off-peak could just about be in the city in 30mins - median house price around $500k.

Ali is a nurse I believe, lives in a nice suburb (good schools etc) SOR and loves life in Perrh.

There is a fantastic hospital opening this year in Murdoch - Fiona Stanley Hospital. I worked as an Infrastructure Engineer on the project and it blew me away. Talk was on them not being able to staff it.

Rockingham could be a good option too - there are cheaper housing developments that way.

Avoid the Western Suburbs - multi million$ houses and heavy traffic if you commute. Although if you work shifts I guess it might be easier.

Not like me to defend Perth but if you're happy to live a suburban lifestyle it can be done! I craved city life so it wasn't for me.

Archived