State sponsored visa 176 - Claiming 'child benefit'

Gridstar

I know i'm going to get slated now as people think all we want to do is move to Australia and claim benefits, which we certainly do not.

We had our visa's granted back in September 2011 and have been out to activate it in June 2012 - Hoping to move out in August - October 2014. So we have a few questions.

1) I know we are not allowed to claim benefits for the first two years, I take it this is from the date we arrive? not the date it was granted. (EDIT - it is Two Years from Entry with a residential address)

2) Does the Aus equivalent of child benefit also included in that?

3) I did read on a a thread that someone on the same visa was allowed medicare?

At the moment, we know I will be working full time, but we are not sure if we can both work full time due to child care costs, which we assume we will not be entitled to help with. We have spent ages looking and can't find the right links etc to find out.

Also, moving to Perth if that has any variation on things.

Thank you for your help in advance!

Dan

2) Child Care payments come under the Family Assistance umbrella. If you are on a PR visa then you can apply for these when you arrive and there is no waiting period.. These include (but are not limited to):

- family tax benefit (part a and b)

- rent assistance

- child care benefit

- child care rebate

The amount you would get is dependent on the number of children in care and also your families income, so it does vary per household. There is an online calculator so you can get a feel for what sort of numbers you are looking at. All the information is now on the Human Services website.

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/subjects/payments-for-families

Archived