Cannot create an NSW online RTA account for car transfer.

the gardener

I have just bought a car and wanted to transfer ownership online.I tried to create and online account with NSW RTA do do this,but failed at the first step as I cannot fill in a NSW driving licence number.

I am here for 4 years on a 457 visa,and am using my UK licence.

Wondering if anybody has found a way round this block?

Thanks for your reply,I am on a temp 4 year 457 visa,and therefore I am allowed to drive on Uk licence for the period of my visa(I am not a permanent resident).

I wanted to avoid getting an OZ licence,as I would have to renew it every year.$65 p.a. I think.

I have 2 other vehicles registered already,but I had to go down to the RTA office in person to do this.(Reminds me of DHSS circa 1985)!

I have a NSW RTA Customer number of course(from my 2 rego documants),but this does not fit the box when asked for a NSW Drivers Licence number.

I now have the answer from the RTA.If you do not have NSW licence you cannot use the online service.They want to photocopy your passport whenever you do a car transfer,you have to go in to an RTA office in person.

When I mentioned that this probably stops about 1million people using the online facility,he said he was aware of this,but rules is rules.

Huh,lucky I dont live on a sheep station 300kms from an RTA.

Archived