New/Used Car Sales - Sydney

weaseltron

Hello all

Perhaps someone on here has some advice on places to buy a car, new if the price is right, used otherwise.

Not looking for anything fancy, couldn't care less about BMW, Audi etc. I want a small car and as long as it has wheels, some kind of engine, a place to sit and won't have to go to the garage every 3 weeks im happy!

Can anyone recommend some places?, also what kind of prices would I be looking at, say for:

Used car

5-7 years old

little hatchback (Kia/VW Golf etc)

I know thats not a lot of detail but ballpark figures are all I need right now!

Thanks

Lots of used and new car dealers on Parramatta Road around the Petersham area. 2 yrs ago we got a Yaris at AMR for $10,000 which was about 4 yrs old and hadn't done many km at all, I just can't remember how many km! We saw it advertised online (I forget which website). It's been great, clunky to drive and not very cool, but no problems or expenses.

• 1 month later...

I personally always use gumtree.com.au for buying anything. Just got an app which is pretty cool for searching gumtree deals on Android https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gumnotificaappz .

Bought a Pajero once at a dealer and it broke down constantly, so don't like dealers anymore, bought a car at the kingscross markets and it broke down within a week, so don't like buying in dark underground parking lots anymore, haha. Long story short, I stick with gumtree because when you meet the seller face to face you usually get a pretty good sign if they are a crook or not. If it's pricey at all it may be a good idea to bring to a mechanic.

Out of interest,does anyone know if new/used car prices will come down at all in the very near future or will they always remain high? I'm going to get a quote for bringing our cars out (it's sad I know, but I'm one of those saddos that love my car) it probably won't be viable, but worth looking into I thought! Are fuel prices high in comparison to the UK?

Out of interest,does anyone know if new/used car prices will come down at all in the very near future or will they always remain high?

I can't see the fundamentals of the market changing. Used prices are high here and always have been. New prices I don't think are that high, if you buy local/Japanese cars and stay away from those that attract the luxury tax loading (this is what catches out most imported German ones). Certainly the VfM offered by buying new here as opposed to used, is much higher I think - less depreciation and not really any more expensive to buy except luxury models

I'm going to get a quote for bringing our cars out (it's sad I know, but I'm one of those saddos that love my car) it probably won't be viable, but worth looking into I thought!

It can make loads of sense - look for the massive thread by the "Iron Chef" in the transport section. Basically if it's a newish prestige car, it makes total financial sense to bring it.

Are fuel prices high in comparison to the UK?

No, quite a bit lower. Currently fluctuates between $1.35 and $1.55 ish for bog standard (91 RON) unleaded in Sydney. Another 5-10c a litre on top for 95RON unleaded or diesel

Don't really know. I think it's more that s/h cars are really cheap in the UK rather than them being really expensive in Aus, based on observations of other countries I've lived in

Historically in the UK tons of cars have been bought by fleets (who get big bulk discounts) and these get dumped on the market at 3-4 years old through auctions which depresses the price of cars of that age very sharply. The fleets don't care much as they paid less in the first place. The private buyer of new cars is the one who loses out, they'll pay more than the fleets in the first place but they still cop for the depressed second hand value

I've just bought a two year old auto ford fiesta privately with 21,000kms on the clock, with a years manufacturer's, for $13,000 - which is what I would have paid for it in the UK.

This is the website I used:

http://www.carsales.com.au/

To transfer the car into my name cost $330. What did shock me was the cost of a driver's licence $166 for five years, same to renew.

Good luck with the search.

Archived