Is MD worth 20 points?

Pugins

Can I claim 20 points for a MD qualification for PR application? This was awarded in Ireland by a recognised university. Not sure if the 20 points are only for PhD or whether an MD (Medical Doctorate) also qualifies? It is not a basic medical qualification but a post graduate degree awarded for original research.

thanks

Hi,

do you have a skills assessment for that degree? Maybe asking VETASSESS for points advisory letter will help?

Here is info from DIBP website: A Doctorate generally comprises more than 4 years of study, involving extensive research, coursework, exams and the writing of a thesis/dissertation. How long was your research for? Also, do you write a thesis to get a MD at your university? I also remember a person with a MD writing here that had problems when claimed 20points for a MD degree from Germany. But I think in Germany it takes only 2 years to get a MD, which is not comparable to a PHD or an UK MD that takes 4+ years... Maybe you can somehow search for that thread?

I hope that someone here will be able to help you with more precise answers...

good luck!

Hmmmm I see your grey area... did you submit a theis and undertake a viva? Generally I believe that if you have an MBBS (or equivolent) then an MD is considered comparable to a PhD in the UK / Ireland. But I think you need some more solid confirmation than can be given here - unless one of the migration agents that post on the forum see this post.

Have you simply thought about firing off an email to your old Uni? or ex supervisor even?

Archived