How do you prove you have owned an item for more than 12 months

Savitar

Hey all. Have a move cube booked for early jan. Most things i am not worried about but we have a thermomix that we have owned for about 18 months that we want to ship (and as they are about $1,700 is oz, it's over the normal allowance). We no longer have the receipt as we throw them out when they are out of warranty (probably not a great idea in hindsight)

how will customs know we have owned it for the required 12 months? Do they just trust when you say it's over 12 months? Any experiences here?

thanks....

Unless it is shiny brand new looking and boxed, I would say you are more likely to be hit by a comet than have customs pick up on it.

nice!!!

we are looking to ship it in the original box though as that should be the most secure. But is the suggestion to put it in a different box? It's clearly used but using trying to avoid the hassle....

thanks...

You have to declare items under 12 months old and sign a form, so they will assume that the item is older if not declared. If in doubt, put a sticky label on the box.

I had some items that were unused but still boxed and were older than 12 months but I put explanations on them. Many boxes were checked including these as they were in a model railway which is high ish risk but were accepted.

And as I hoard boxes, we had lots of over 12 month old stuff in original cartons - again if they look newish, put a note on. It can't hurt, and a note will give information for a customs officer to use to judge it.

We declared Christmas presents less than 12 months old and put notes on explaining why they were "new" and we were not charged for them. We also had a garden strimmer that was new as it had been replaced under guarantee and saved as by then we knew we were emigrating and we bought some bedroom furniture to match existing as it was not available in Australia. We put the explanation on the box and the declaration and were not charged.

Archived