Does anyone have experience with applying for uk disbility pension?

freeme

Have been in Oz for 37 Years and want to return to UK, however, am now on a disability pension due to Multiple Sclerosis. I am a UK citizen, however, was only 10 when I came to OZ. Can anyone help with information\advice about the UK pension system?

Many thanks

Guest Guest 47403

This isn't personal but seeing as you have never contributed tax wise to the UK I'd like to think you wouldn't be entitled to anything but this probably isn't the case and someone will come along and tell you you will be, more likely a disability benefit rather than pension. Again nothing personal.

Sorry but I do not think you would be entitled to much, especially as they are clamping down on benefit claims. You have not paid anything in the way of national insurance contributions, so at the moment you would not be entitled to a retirement pension and as for disability allowances I think you would extremely lucky to get anything.

Hopefully someone with more experience will come along and offer some more informed comments but that is how I understand the system.

Hi, prior to going to Australia I had been on disability living allowance for eight years

D.L.A is now being replaced by p.i.p ,personal independence payment.

I applied on my return to uk this summer and have been told that I cannot apply until I have been back in uk for two years.

Sorry its not more positive.

Good luck in your move back.

I don't think you'll be entitled to anything for at least 2 years after returning.

Have a read of this

https://www.gov.uk/pip/eligibility

You'll also not have a NI number if you left at aged 10 and if you are returning you will need one of these asap to get you in the system. As for pension, again, as you've not paid anything in I don't think you'll be entitled to claim. Well, at least not till after a certain timeframe/criteria are met.

You may, once you pass the habitual residence test you may be eligible for other benefits but I am not sure what or how much they would be. Chances are not a great deal if you have funds etc. Read the link below to learn more about the HRT.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/wales/benefits_w/benefits_coming_from_abroad_and_claiming_benefits_hrt.htm

Hopefully you have decent funds behind you and others to support you in your move as I don't think you'll get much from the state.

Hi my knowledge I isn't great but there was a reciprocal agreement between uk and Australia till 2001.. My understanding is years worked in Oz from age 19 till 2001 allows you to be eligible for some state pension when you turn the appropriate age. The rest would be made up by Australian pension . Sorry don't know about the disability side of it but I think it will be tough to get entitlements

Hi my knowledge I isn't great but there was a reciprocal agreement between uk and Australia till 2001.. My understanding is years worked in Oz from age 19 till 2001 allows you to be eligible for some state pension when you turn the appropriate age. The rest would be made up by Australian pension . Sorry don't know about the disability side of it but I think it will be tough to get entitlements

The working life is 16 to retirement age for Aussie pensions and yes that does count towards a UK state pension ( up until 2001) but you have to be a certain age to claim the state pension in the Uk plus to claim the Aussie retirement pension you need to be in Oz to make the claim

Freeme if your Australian disability pension has a severe disability classification then it could paid in the Uk but you need to check that out

DLA as it used to be called is not means tested but it's not a permanent pension either it's reclassified every 2 years You won't have any insurance NI contributions for sickness benefits but can put sick notes in so that NI contributions get paid

i think some carefull planning would need to be in place before such a big move

I do know that if you are on Aus disability that you have to be in the country and not leave for an extended period. I know this because my friend's sister in law on disability went to Fiji to live with her husband on his retirement. She is not retirement age. She had to keep on flying back to Aus all the time to see Centrelink. They were not happy with the situation and to retain her pension she had to return to live in Aus.

Just to add that now the pension age has been lifted it will mean a lot of people have to stay until pension is available before being able to live overseas if wanting the Aus pension top up.

Aus is not likely to have an agreement again until UK agrees to index its pensions here that is why we have no agreement now.

I obviously have no idea how disabling your MS is but even after two years residency you may find you don't qualify for the same level of benefits as in Australia. I was on Mobility Allowance in Australia but my level of functioning (I have RA) means I get nothing here. There is a lot of controversy in the UK at the moment with fewer and fewer people qualifying despite having significant health problems.

Archived