Coming to QLD on W&HV next week.

dojapan

Hello all,

I recently received my W&HV. I have a tentative plan and many questions. I think I would enjoy working on the banana harvest for the summer. I might fly to Brisbane and spend a week there getting my bearings: get prepaid phone card, open bank, call around about job availability in the north, and possibly meet some friends to team up with. If bananas around QLD is a practical idea, then I might take the train up to Cairns.

Questions:

1) What's the banana harvest like this year?

2) Would it be better to just fly straight to Cairns and not bother with Brisbane or the train?

3) Should I get a driver's license and a car? (I heard it helps with getting jobs)

4) Is there a popular website for posting classified ads? Craigslist seems to be under-utilized in Oz.

I think that's all for now. More questions later, I'm sure.

Hi and welcome to PIO..

Gumtree is more popular than Craiglist over here ,but you do have to be wary of scams. You often see backpacker vehicles for sale on there and if you have a UK licence its a straight swap for a QLD one, it will definitely be easy to get around, especially once your out of the major cities.

Jobs wise have a look here ,you may find something suitable - http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/backpacker-job-vacancies/

Lots of luck with your travels and i hope you have a great time.

Cal x

Archived