Melbourne bound September 2014

purplestar

Hello everyone,

This is a first time post for me and I'm a little nervous

My partner and I are lucky enough to be moving to Melbourne next September, I have been browsing this sight looking for help with moving issues and everyone gives very helpful advice.

We need some advice for a few items.

I was wondering whether people who have already moved or are moving set up a bank account before they arrived and if so how did they go about this and which bank did they go for and why?

Also my partner is a chef (head) and wondered if any other chefs on here could point us in the right direction for good sites and places to go when it comes to looking for a good job?

I have a ton of other questions but hoping to get some help on these ones first

Thank you

:rolleyes:

Thank you,

I have been looking at them :)

So you do all the form filling online no talking to anyone or making appointments or anything?

Also does that mean that you can start putting money into the account over here before you go and it will be transferred at a good rate or can you wait and transfer it when you want?

Commonwealth Bank also, you can open the account online and transfer in as much as you want (at the exchange rate on the day) when you arrive here go to the bank with your passport and Visa and they'll give you your bank card from that point you can use the bank as normal transfers in/out payments etc. They recommend you deposit around $600 to keep the account up and running. Otherwise no hassles. Good Luck

National Australia Bank been with them for over thirty five years now and never had a problem. Easy to deal with.

As for sites have a look at Seek and Career One, however some of the jobs listed may be agencies fishing for people to use them.

If you look at the Age Newspaper on a Saturday on line it has a good career section and job section. Also on a Wednesday, Herald Sun is a another paper to look at. In fact its probably worth getting a subscription to the papers as there is a lot of info in them to help you. At present they are giving very cheap subscriptions away as they want to get into digital more.

The Leader Newspaper site also has jobs locally in different areas and there is a newspaper for each area, these papers are free so you do not need ot pay a subscription to use their site.

If you have not already done so join up with the Life in Victoria forum there is a link at the foot of this one, most people there are already here and will be able to help you through the hoops of moving over.

Depending on what type of Chef your oh is will depend on wage I suppose.

Also look up for Restaurants in Melbourne as often they have their own sites and advertise jobs on them.

Good luck

• 4 weeks later...

Archived