The University of Sydney - are recommendations?

Dudlg0

I have been offered a job at the University of Sydney. Im still deciding whether to take it or not, the salary is around $130k. I think I have just got my head around the fact that you need to multiply your UK salary by x2.5, for a comparable standard of living. So its not too far off!

Based on my salary is it possible to live the Sydney dream? Im 36 year old professional and have no dependents, in an ideal world I would like:

- To be near the water.

- A park, so i can jog.

- A chilled out/relaxed/cool neighbourhood. I don't mind somewhere that is a bit rough around the edges, as long as it has the right atmosphere. I prefer this to rather than being in a pretentious neighbourhood full of ladies that lunch and Range Rovers (Or the ozzy equivalent!)

- A good selection of restaurants, bars and shops.

- Ideally, close to the University of Sydney main campus.

- Has good transport links, as im assuming it won't be possible to be near a beach (or within my budget). If I want to be near the UoS main campus.

Any recommendations please and how much should I budget for a flat?

Any of the suburbs around the Uni would be fine - Newtown, Camperdown, Redfern, Glebe, Annandale.

They're all student areas, so plenty of bars, cafes, restaurants and a good atmosphere. Newtown is probably your best bet. Has a long shopping street with very eclectic shops and a slightly alternative feel.

130K? Even with,Sydney prices you be,able,to live like a,king. $5/600 a week to rent a,decent one,bedroom flat? Any of,those burbs that surround,the,uni walk to work close to city. Of course being so close to everything you can't help mixing with yuppies and people with Range Rovers. Who,else can afford to buy in these,areas?! Young people can no longer afford to rent a room for themselves and java to share rooms! I am biased towards Surry Hills but,then I live there. Would,prob take me 20/25 mins to walk to Sydney uni. Rough around the edges? Drug addicts brothels & "The Ice Tower" jostling with cool young,professionals in their $1M Plus terraces and warehouse conversions. Mind you those brothels are in some of those terraces and a million dollars is nothing now in,Sydney!

Archived