UK Driving license only valid for 6 months from GRANT of PR, not arrival

arrumac

As I have been in Aus 6 months I thought I'd make an appt with Vic roads to get a Vic driving license. Contrary to what I thought and what I thought I'd read the lady kindly told me you only get 6 months on your UK license from the date your PR is granted, not 6 months from when you arrive. So had I been stopped apparently I'd had no license. Thankfully they are quick, I got an appt for a license on Monday at Seaford, they give you a paper one there and then.

No need for a photo

But FYI You will need (for VIC Roads)

Driving license (apparently no need for counterpart)

Passport

Paper Copy of Visa

Proof of address (bank statement/utility bill/tenancy agreement)

Secondary ID such as Medicare card

3 yr license costs $71.81

10 yr $245.90

Actually that's not quite correct. You do get 6 months from time of arrival if your PR was granted overseas.

There is a requirement to change over within 6 months from the time your PR was granted but that only applies if your PR was granted whilst you were in Australia and you were already here on a temp visa.

Otherwise how would people who arrive a year after their PR was granted (perfectly legitimate and very common) ever be able to satisfy the requirements?

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Licences/NewToVictoria/OverseasDriversLicences.htm

Guest guest90395

I had my appointment to get my victorian licence last week and didn't need to take a copy visa. They didn't issue me with my licence on the spot either, they took my photo and are posting it out to me.

Archived